Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Rate Changes, Deals and Promotions

Members Beware Fraudulent Security Alert

Friday, November 9, 2012 - 2:17 PMABCO Federal Credit Union - Details
Phishing emails apparently are going out to Abco members. Typical phish asking for members to update their information by logging via the included link, which appears identical to the cu's address.

http://www.goabco.org/fraudulent-security-alert-11-08-12.cfm
ekatekat74 posts since
Jan 22, 2010
Rep Points: 238
1. Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 7:06 AM
The broken, incorrect, and akward English in the phishing e-mail usually is the first red flag.  Such e-mails all employ scaring tactics to impose urgency.  We should all count to 100 to calm ourselves down and use our brain instead of react quickly.  The best way is to call the bank/credit union for further confirmation/instruction. 

Even when I called Yahoo for a suspicious e-mail several weeks ago, I made the error of searching the internet and get a number (Yahoo fraud support or something like that).  It turned out to be a fraudulant phone number.  I was lucky not giving any personal information and not going to the directed website for action.  Today the fraudulant activities are all over the place and have become more advanced/sophisticated. 

Just a friendly warning. 
51hh51hh1,460 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,348
2. Thursday, May 2, 2013 - 9:14 PM
Among all the detecting activities, gold detecting is the most interesting one. It can not only relax both our mind and body, but also give us a big fortune if we are lucky enough. Next time when you feel bored, you can pick up a gold  metal  detector and have a try.
coralie1989coralie19891 posts since
May 2, 2013
Rep Points: 1