Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

2012 Tax Refund I-Bonds

Friday, November 30, 2012 - 12:01 PM
Does anyone know if the IRS is allowing for paper I-Bonds in the 2012 tax refund? Found this on the IRS web site
primaryprimary5 posts since
Oct 24, 2012
Rep Points: 43
1. Friday, November 30, 2012 - 12:37 PM
I see no indication that the IRS is ending this program. So it appears everyone will be able to buy paper I-Bonds (up to $5,000) with their refund for the 2012 tax year just like they were able to do for the 2011 tax year.

I found more information in this IRS FAQ page.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,471 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,634
2. Saturday, December 1, 2012 - 1:59 PM
FYI - if there are any errors in your return that impact the refund amount, the IRS will cancel the request to purchase the I-Bonds and just send you the refund.  That's even if there is plenty of money to make the purchase.  They just cancel it and you have no option to continue with the purchase.  BUT at these low rates, no big deal either way.
Anon456Anon45630 posts since
Oct 30, 2011
Rep Points: 78