Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Security Management

Monday, December 10, 2012 - 6:18 PMAlly Bank
Has anyone had this happen to them? Over the weekend I decided to purchase three 5 year CD's thru Ally. I went online, registered, did the security stuff for logon/password and got as far as the fund account part. With no funds in the acct I wanted Ally to use, I went to wait mode to transfer them today (Mon) into the acct. and subsequently using Ally"s ACH process get the CD's funded from that acct. I was assured that the CD accounts were open and that the 10 day rate guarantee was in effect.

Issue: Monday morning I check e-mail and find a msg. from Ally saying that my logon username was changed. Thinking that you the account holder is/are the one to establish and or change that type of info. I made a call to Ally. After a conversation I was asked to forward the e-mail to them which I did. I recieved a response back indicating that Ally did indeed send the email but in the second sentence indicated that they would never jeopardize a customers security. Well now I am confused.

Bottom line....I am now reluctant to transfer those funds to the Ally accounts. Now to add...I went in and verified the logon process with the info I put in, and can get to where I need to go to conduct business. Just a question in my head in relation to their security process and issue solving as well as assuring that you are safe. Thanks
klinkklink101 posts since
Dec 8, 2012
Rep Points: 276
1. Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 5:05 AM
Ally Bank's online banking system does send many auto-generated emails to inform account holders of transactions like the start of a transfer request and the receiving of an initial deposit. These should not have your account number. However, they may have the names of your other banks involved in the tranfer and the transfer amounts. This has concerned some readers. I did a blog post on this issue in 2011.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,472 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,708
2. Thursday, December 13, 2012 - 3:07 PM
Update: Got a call from Ally today assuring me that my logon information was secure and that Ally acknowledges a glitch in the system whereby alerts are sent out making username changes. I was assured that they are working on the problem.
klinkklink101 posts since
Dec 8, 2012
Rep Points: 276