Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Discussion

Password Security...

Friday, December 21, 2012 - 8:57 AM
Here is some suggestions for strong password for marketwatch.com:

Hacker-proof your password - Jennifer Waters's Consumer Confidential - MarketWatch

"Now use that password on all of your social-media sites, but mix it up with a code. For Facebook, the code could be “Red,” so your password becomes “MudcellconcertRed.” And the Twitter account code could be “Periwinkle,” so that password then is “MudcellconertPeriwinkle.”

Use different stories for different groups of accounts. Your financial accounts, for example, could be tied to a time when you mistakenly double-paid on a bill and thought you had a windfall on the account. Your password could be “TwoX$$justdumb” with the code to your bank account as “Maple” for “TwoX$$justdumbMaple,” and as “Birch” for your 401(k) account for “TwoX$$justdumbBirch.”

The only problem I have with this scheme is that I have tons of accounts, among thousands of other information.  Most likely this type of password is so strong that I will forget in a day.  But the information-combining strategy may be a good one; say relative's name plus engagement date with a "!" at the end.
51hh51hh1,460 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,346
1. Friday, December 21, 2012 - 6:54 PM
I find strong password suggestions complicated.  I used one from Kim Komando's "Tip of the Day" email.

Think of a phrase and use the first letter of each word with the addition of symbols.  You would use the same phrase using the second letter of each word for a second password and so on.

As you said with many accounts it isn't easy.  I stopped at one email address.
MaeclMaecl83 posts since
Jul 6, 2010
Rep Points: 654