Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Investments

Wall Street Tells Clients To Sell Treasuries, But Its Own Holdings Are At A Record High

Friday, December 21, 2012 - 8:20 PM
If one reads sellside research (especially that of Bank of America or Goldman), if one listens to comedy-finance fusion TV channels, or if one reads newspapers, one can't help but be left with the impression that everyone and their grandmother is now dumping Treasuries and buying stocks.

Wall Street Treasury Bond Holdings - Business Insider
ShorebreakShorebreak2,367 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,616
1. Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:11 AM
I listened to both sides of this on tv last night.  Soooo will someone tell us what is the right thing to do??  No way I am going the stocks road so I guess I answered my own question.   The way our country is going with our "do nothing" politicians in Washington, no one really knows what to do.
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,087
2. Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 11:39 AM
In my opinion the best strategy is to buy equity or bond funds when everyone is selling.  The exception would have to be Treasury, as we would starve from the income they produce.
MaeclMaecl83 posts since
Jul 6, 2010
Rep Points: 654
3. Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 12:23 PM
There is no right or wrong thing to do.  I read a lot of investment-related articles; but I do not follow any of them. 

One needs to develop one's own tailored financial portfolio and it takes years of experience and trail-and-error to come up with one. 

That said, I am neutral on both equity and bond funds.  I think that the stock market has its own serious and fundamental issues to deal with over the next five years.  Meanwhile, keeping a minimum in stock funds and bond funds is prudent.  Unless one is a true expert who is capable of sailing the economic storm with its huge ups and downs.

I am now more in the camp of DA; i.e., keeping most of my funding in cold cash (not bonds).
51hh51hh1,460 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,348