Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Will Penfed Have A January CD Special?

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 10:25 PMPentagon Federal Credit Union - Details
Will Penfed Have a January CD Special this year? Any rumors? When is this usually announced?
PastTensePastTense8 posts since
Dec 16, 2010
Rep Points: 33
1. Friday, December 28, 2012 - 6:55 AM
I have not heard of any so far. Don't forget that PenFed has been offering special CD rates for the last two months (see blog post). So there's a chance that PenFed has decided to offer specials in November and December instead of in January.

Unlike past PenFed CD specials that were mostly long-term, these November and December specials were short- and mid-term CD specials. Perhaps PenFed is regretting those 5% 10-year CD specials from two years ago (I'm sure many of us are very happy with those).
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
2. Friday, December 28, 2012 - 1:48 PM
I agree - the Penfed 10 year 5% CD was a great deal, although there were quite a few posters back then who thought it was too long to lock their money. In Nov of 2010, just before this deal, the state of Ca. issued 10 year state GO Build America Bonds at 5.75%. You would be hard-pressed to find anything remotely like this today. Many people (Bill Gross) thought interest rates were going higher during that period. Interest rate forecasting is a foolish endeavor, which makes me wonder if the general consensus of rates staying low for many years will be another wrongheaded prediction.
loulou544 posts since
Aug 3, 2010
Rep Points: 3,397