Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Taxes, To-Do List, And So On...

Monday, January 7, 2013 - 10:09 AM
From marketwatch.com:

January to-do list for taxes - MarketWatch

Hate taxes, hate to-do list even more; and tax resolutions (who needs those)!?  But here it goes again.
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
1. Monday, January 7, 2013 - 11:23 AM
Interesting article.  Every year at the end of December I order my Federal and State tax forms including all Estimated tax forms.  They have to backorder most but at least I know I am on the list to get them soon as they are available.  I have also already prepared my special folders for whatever I expect to get in the mail to use to do both taxes.  If the newest 2012 changes info is available on the internet, I read it to see if I need additional forms.  Usually I don't but I pre-prepare as much as possible so when all forms arrive, I am ready to do both taxes.

I find if I pre-prepare as much as I can beforehand, I can do all taxes quickly and without problems.  If I need answers to questions for my taxes, I am sure to call IRS as soon as possible before their phone lines get tied up later.  I have already called them for certain questions I needed answered for these taxes.  Now I am off to the races! :)
paoli2paoli21,366 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,989
2. Monday, January 7, 2013 - 12:31 PM
Re: Paoli2 @ 1. Monday, January 7, 2013 - 11:23 AM

You can download and/or print the forms directly from the IRS site instead of ordering them through the mail. One may also complete the forms after downloading and print the finished product.

Forms and Publications (PDF)
ShorebreakShorebreak2,603 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,088
3. Monday, January 7, 2013 - 2:10 PM
Shorebreak:   I like the idea of downloading my forms ahead of time but what I need is not always available until later on.  I usually see if the ones in the mail get here first and just type them.  If they don't and they are on line when I am ready to do my taxes, I have gone on line and actually done the "fill-in" forms or printed copies out to use to type. I really like it that we now have several choices for doing the taxes.   Thanks for the Forms link but they still are missing certain forms I need at this point.  By the end of January most of the forms are on there.
paoli2paoli21,366 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,989