Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Tapping Credit Card Customer Service...

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 12:06 PM
Good article/tactics on this subject from bankrate.com:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/c...ervice.asp

While some credit card companies are making valid efforts to enhance existing customer service programs, in other instances customer service representatives "are trained to stonewall you," says Peggy Morrow, a customer service consultant who runs Peggy Morrow & Associates of Houston.

The evasiveness isn't personal. Becky Carroll, author of "The Hidden Power of Your Customers," says some contact centers measure an employee's success by how quickly they get a consumer off the phone, and oftentimes a curt rep is simply trying to keep his or her job. At the other end of the spectrum, service-oriented credit card companies have moved toward measuring success by whether a consumer is satisfied on the first call.

Fortunately, whether you're trying to solve a problem, hoping to get a fee waived or looking to lower your annual percentage rate, there are some surefire ways to get a credit card customer service rep on your side.

51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,425
1. Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 9:07 PM
51hh, good article, thanks for posting. 

In dealing with CSRs the adage of catching more flies with honey than vinegar is especially true.  I keep 4 P's in mind when calling Customer Service:  pleasant, polite, prepared and professional.  Paper and pencil at hand, note date and time, note the person's name if they mention it, tell them mine, greet them pleasantly and ask for their name if they didn't offer it.   If have been on hold for a long time, acknowledge that it must be very busy at their end. Tell them the reason for the call and ask if that is something they can help me with.  Being pleasant and calm sets the stage for the entire interaction and I rarely run into problems getting the information/ prompt action I need.   Throughout the conversation I take notes, and before ending the call, I recap what has been done, summarize any action needed in the future and thank them for their help. 

The only thing I would add is that "taking it to the next level" is appropriate not just when you are not satisfied with a resolution, but also when you are very satisfied with how things have been handled.  If a CSR has handled a difficult/complex problem well or gone above and beyond, I praise them and ask if there is someone I imight tell what a great job they have done. 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,430 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,246