Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Financial News

1-Year CD Rates Vs. 5-Year CD Rates

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 4:41 PM
This is a case study that I completed based on information in our database.  It is semi-self promotional, but figured you guys may have fun taking it apart.  I am linking to scribd as opposed to our company site directly.  Hopefully this posting doesn't seem out of line.   If so, feel free to delete the thread.

Case Study: Comparing 1-year CD Rates to 5-year CD Rates

cd :O)
ChrisCDChrisCD66 posts since
Nov 18, 2010
Rep Points: 409
1. Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 7:41 PM
Good info. Thanks.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,368 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,625
2. Wednesday, January 9, 2013 - 7:48 PM
Chris:  Interesting article.  I have been working with CDs for over 40 years and very rarely did I find that going for shorter terms was the best option.  If the financial heads tell me to go short, I usually go with what I am reading in the news etc. and end up with 5 year or longer CDs.  Frankly we are surviving on the long term CDs I got some years ago when the bankers were even encouraging me to buy shorter terms in case rates go up.  I know what percent we need for our income and I stick with that no matter what term I have to go to.  However, I have never had to go past 7 years for a CD.  Thanks for sharing the article.
paoli2paoli21,142 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,089
3. Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 8:25 AM
Thank you to the bot of you.  I'm glad it was useful.  40-years, that's a long time.  :O)  I'm just a baby at 13-years.  We have a CD in our sytem that was opened back in the early 90s with an 8% rate.  It is a 30-year CD and the bank is still open. 
ChrisCDChrisCD66 posts since
Nov 18, 2010
Rep Points: 409