Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Discussion

Oracle Updates Java, But Security Experts Say Bugs Remain

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 7:51 AM
It's not safe to go into the water yet...

BOSTON -- Oracle (ORCL) released an emergency update to its Java software for surfing the Web on Sunday, but security experts said the update fails to protect PCs from attack by hackers intent on committing cyber crimes.

"The safest thing to do at this point is just assume that Java is always going to be vulnerable. Folks don't really need Java on their desktop,"

Meanwhile, Microsoft said on Sunday that would it release an update on Monday to fix a previously disclosed flaw in Internet Explorer versions 6, 7 and 8 that made PCs vulnerable to attacks in which hackers can gain remote control of the machines. Microsoft previously released a temporary fix to prevent such attacks.

Oracle updates Java, but security experts say bugs remain - San Jose Mercury News
ShorebreakShorebreak2,367 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,618
1. Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 6:00 PM

One question I would like someone to answer if you can.  If we delete our banks, brokerages and other financial institution websites from our browser, won't that keep any hackers from getting into our financial info?  I can always put their webpages back on in a few months when the scare is over.  Does that sound like a protection?   I have already deleted Java on both Firebox and IE browsers but wondered if this could be a secondary protection.  Thanks!
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,087
2. Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 9:49 PM
Relax alittle ok?   Go get a good nights rest....... Iwill give you the link of every bank and credit card I have and will fear you not.

Just dont store passwords on the puter. :)
RicochetRicochet131 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Rep Points: 358
3. Friday, January 18, 2013 - 6:46 AM
If you have Norton anti-virus software, and have not disabled the automatic updates, you are protected against this Java vulnerability, according to e-mail I received from Norton.
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
Rep Points: 1,281