Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Discussion

Flu Season Is Here... For A While

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 8:00 AM
From MarketWatch.com:

Hand sanitizer spread faster than the flu - MarketWatch

No place is safe these days; work, supermrket, home...  

(My suggested) Precautionary measures:

stay home when sick

avoid hand-shaking (it is not rude)

take plenty of rest/water (both when sick or normal)

annouce sickness to people one has to contact (alertness is a protection shield)

Etc., etc., etc.
51hh51hh1,460 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,348
1. Monday, January 21, 2013 - 10:07 AM
... and its after effects may linger for longer still. 

From AP: 
An unusually early and vigorous flu season is drawing attention to a cause that has scored victories but also hit roadblocks in recent years: mandatory paid sick leave for a third of civilian workers — more than 40 million people — who don't have it. Supporters and opponents are particularly watching New York City, where lawmakers are weighing a sick leave proposal amid a competitive mayoral race.

The flu spike is making people more aware of the argument for sick pay, said Ellen Bravo, executive director of Family Values at Work, which promotes paid sick time initiatives around the country. "There's people who say, 'OK, I get it — you don't want your server coughing on your food,'" she said.            Advocates have cast paid sick time as both a workforce issue akin to parental leave and "living wage" laws, and a public health priority.         

But to some business owners, paid sick leave is an impractical and unfair burden for small operations. Critics also say the timing is bad, given the choppy economy and the hardships inflicted by Superstorm Sandy.

Read more
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,356 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 5,955
2. Monday, January 21, 2013 - 5:58 PM
There is another serious problem with flu season that many forget.  Doctors.  My relative went to see her primary care doc a couple of weeks ago due to a pain issue.  She said he had signs up and boxes of masks asking patients who felt they had colds, viruses or the flu etc. to please put on a mask to help protect other patients.  She said people were sneezing and coughing etc. yet they did not put on a mask.  A week later her friend tried to get an appointment with the same doctor and was told he was out very ill with a virus.  The doctor was sick for over a week.  My relative starting having symptoms several days after seeing the doctor but luckily, she did not get the flu.  My point is that people just don't seem to be concerned about protecting others when they are sick especially when they are in a doctor's office.  It seems a doctor is most at risk because for hours every day he is face to face with symptomatic patients.  It is a wonder more doctors don't end up in the hospital during flu season.  We go to the doctors to get well but many times it is the worse place for sick people to be.
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,078
3. Monday, January 21, 2013 - 8:54 PM
Don't handle money!

Catching Flu From Money

Catching Flu From Money - NYTimes.com

ShorebreakShorebreak2,364 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,582
4. Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 7:54 AM
Goodness, Shorebreak, you have given me a real reason for "maybe" getting the flu shot!  Either that or wear plastic gloves all the time.:)  Seriously, it has been known for years that handling money can make us sick but now with flu season, poor people must be healthier.  Ah ha!  This is a real good reason for only using our own credit card for everything especially during flu season.  If we keep an alcohol wipe handle we can even protect ourselves from other people's card germs.  It's amazing how much one can learn from DepositsOnline.  No need ever to go to college anymore.
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,078
5. Friday, February 22, 2013 - 11:46 AM
pa really or svery serious issue  imho ahould we change the moniker to paranoria
girlonhorngirlonhorn3 posts since
Feb 22, 2013
Rep Points: 9