Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

How Often Does Your Credit Report Change?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 6:38 PM
From Credit.com:

The emails usually come in the form of a slightly panicked plea, “How long will it take my credit report to be updated after I pay off a credit card/settle a collection account/get the IRS to remove a tax lien etc?” The writers of those emails will usually go on to explain that they are trying to get a mortgage, auto loan, or some other type of loan, and want to make sure their latest credit report information is considered.   

... So how often do credit reports change? Like so many things in life, your credit report can change in the blink of an eye.     

[...} But it’s not like checking your online bank account and seeing the debit card purchase you made a few minutes ago in your running balance. “It’s not real time,” says Rod Griffin, director of public relations for Experian

Read more
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,430 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,246
1. Friday, September 20, 2013 - 5:34 AM
That explains why, when I do a credit check, it seems as if nothing has been updated. I always thought that it took some time for my credit report to be updated. But now I know it needs to be requested, either by me or a lender, for it to be updated. Great article, pearlbrown!
joymalijoymali16 posts since
Apr 6, 2013
Rep Points: 23
2. Friday, September 20, 2013 - 7:19 AM
Just a quick note Gerri Detweiler (author of Pearl's article) graduated from the school in our small town. The population now with the growth spurt has a population of  5040. Her father was a teacher and her mom worked with the newborns in the local hospital. Great family. 
Ally6770Ally6770909 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,639
3. Saturday, October 5, 2013 - 5:06 AM
When correct payments are done based on you credit card terms, the score will increase. The credit scores range from 300-900; with the higher number as the better credit rating.

scorecomparisonscorecomparison3 posts since
Oct 5, 2013
Rep Points: 5