Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Can Your Ex Spy On Your Credit?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 6:44 PM
From Credit.com, a reader asks:  
After a divorce, I am planning on refinancing the “family” home. My ex-husband took it upon himself to inquire about refinancing with a bank that he has personal connections with. The bank checked my credit and pulled my scores etc. without my verbal or written permission. The bank has admitted to not having my permission and going off of my ex-husband’s authority. As you can see this is a problem and will continue to be with an ex-spouse thinking he still has this authority.   I actually would like to know — ex-spouse or not — can anyone authorize the check of another person’s credit?
Read more
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,473 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,404
1. Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 1:34 PM
What I would like to know is can spouses peruse each other's info on the computer?  It seems our society thinks all spouses are going to end up "ex" spouses and they want us to be decietful of each other.  If you can't trust your own spouse with your personal info what are you doing still married?  This decision should be left up to each spouse and not institutions.  One of our brokerages insisted that I can't see my DP's IRA info (even tho I handle it for him) unless "he" sits at my computer and types in the login!  My DP is ticked off about this and says they are taking it for granted spouses shouldn't be trusted.   So now I have to teach him to type! :)  Just kidding.  I taught him already.
paoli2paoli21,401 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,135