Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Re #458 And My #461

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 5:29 PM
Re #458 and my #461: Citi Platinum Dividend Select card being converted. 

I just checked with them -- yet again. This time, they tell me the same as #458 was told. I can opt out, my card will not be canceled and will be reissued as-is when it reaches its expiration date, and my benefits will not change.

I first spoke with some CSR in India who told me that -- and grilled him hard and deep, and he was insistent. I then had him transfer me to the supervisor, who turned out to be an American in Missouri. He confirmed all. So, I let him opt me out -- and he agreed to send me something in writing confirming my card will continue as-is and will not cease upon its expiration date.

I note, this changeover on my card was set for July 1, and my card's expiration date is July 31 -- so they might be doing this as cards expiration dates come up. I was worrying that they would opt me out and my card would continue as-is ONLY to the expiration date a few weeks later, and then expire! But he assures me it will get a new expiration date and continue as-is. He said I should get the letter confirming this in writing in 5-7 business days. 

I think this letter from Citi is VERY bad. It should have let us know we could opt out without losing our card status. They should better inform their CSRs as well. I venture to say that most people are not going to call in to see if they can opt out since the letter does not give any clue about that. And if they find out later, to switch back they will have to cancel and then apply for a new card!

Re #463, I see the Platinum Select MasterCard being offered at the Web site here. I note, all that is on my dividend card for a name is "Platinum Select," and that is what is at the Web site. But my letter called it a "Dividend Platinum Select" card. Is that your confusion?
me1004me1004370 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,572
1. Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 10:37 PM
Re #464: I took a real hard look at my card. It looks like the word "Dividend" might have been rubbed off with wear. 

I see what you are saying that the Dividend Platinum Select card is not listed at the Website.

So, I just called Citi once again -- geez! I got India again. They explain to me that what they are doing is allowing existing Dividend Platinum Select cardholders to continue with that card, and the same current benefits, if they call in to opt out. But no new applications for the card will be accepted -- and thus, it is not listed at the Web site any more.

Thus, the previous info that the card is being phased out was true. But that CSR was wrong in concluding that meant that if we opt out that our card will expire. I was assured once again just now that the card will not expire if we opt out.

I once again told the CSR to tell the higher ups that their company communication has been atrocious.
me1004me1004370 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,572