Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Ally Bank Issuing False Security Alerts!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 2:03 PMAlly Bank - Details
I just received an e-mail from Ally saying:

"Your address for Ally Bank was changed ... If you didn't
    make this change, please call us as soon as possible..."

Since I had made no such change, I (gulped and) phoned Ally
immediately.  After being on hold for several minutes while
the CSR researched things, I was informed that Ally had
experienced an "internal mechanical error" and several other
customers were experiencing the same situation.  There had
been no security breach.  Relief.
cumuluscumulus337 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 1,583
1. Friday, February 22, 2013 - 12:38 PM
Whenever you receive an alert about account changes, a possible compromise of your account/password, or online activity that you know you did not initiate, I think it is a good idea to log in to your account and see whether it is true before you start to panic. Sometimes these alarming messages are not actually sent by the financial institution or other on-line entity that the message claims was the sender. "Phishing" (and "spear-phishing") scammers can sometimes send very convincing email messages that just happen to contain a convenient login or response link for you to click -- if you want to hand your account authroization credentials to the scammers. You should still contact the institution, of course, to inform them about the alarming message, as you did. In this case, it appears to have been some glitch in Ally's system, which is not a good thing, but at least it did not involve exposing confidential information.
ClickClackClickClack25 posts since
Feb 7, 2012
Rep Points: 168
2. Friday, February 22, 2013 - 3:53 PM
Last month I got numerous fake "alerts," which looked authentic, about my Bank Americard Cash Rewards Visa. Fortunately, I was "paranoid" enough to suspect phishing and called Bank of America. Just this week, a similar one allegedly from Citibank, with which I have a rarely used Sears Mastercard - I deleted it. To reiterate ClickClack's point: never click the response link in these messages; instead, call your financial institution. Be wary!
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
Rep Points: 1,285