Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

New Discover Credit Card Cuts The Fees

Monday, February 25, 2013 - 1:17 PM
Discover has just unveiled a new credit card that seeks to bundle the best features of other popular rewards cards under one piece of plastic.

The creditor has branded the new card "it."

"It" is notable for all the fees you won’t pay.

New Discover credit card cuts the fees | Interest.com
ShorebreakShorebreak2,700 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,635
1. Monday, February 25, 2013 - 1:58 PM
I requested to switch my Discover card to "It" about 6 weeks ago after being alerted by this post from Ken instead of waiting until they automatically converted me at some point.   The transition was painless and took effect at the close of the then-current cycle. 

Replacing the tiered cashback with a straight 1% was a big improvement from the meager 0.25% on the first $3k of spending, which was the primary reason the card was my last choice for spending, unless it was on a quarterly 5% reward category.  Although I have a VISA with better cashback, it is not accepted in some places (for example Sam's), so Discover is my choice when shopping there. 

As a side note, I have been very pleased with the customer service from Discover.  During 4Q 2012, I charged enough in the 5% reward category (online spending) to qualify for the maximum $75 cashback.   Initially they disallowed the cashback on some of the charges, but after we went through the details together, they promptly corrected the error and awarded the entire amount. 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,491 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,490