Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

11 Ways A Debt Collector May Be Breaking The Law

Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 9:21 AM
From Credit.com:
A strong federal law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act protects consumers against certain unfair collection practices. It applies only to outside, or third-party debt collectors (not creditors collecting their own debts) and only for personal (not business) debts. State laws may provide additional protection.

In its 2013 annual report to Congress about debt collection complaints, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau described collection complaints received by the Federal Trade Commission. In 2012, the FTC received 125,136 complaints about debt collectors — down from 144,451 in 2011. A complaint does not mean a law has been broken, and some complaints may be the result of overseas debt collection scammers who harass consumers.

Read more
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,473 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,403
1. Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 6:06 PM

Around 7-months ago I purchased a prepaid cell phone using Virgin Mobile via: Sprint network for $35 a month 300-minues unlimited text/data.

The problem is that the phone number I got was used by someone else before and their bill collected keep calling my number asking me about that person. I have told them I am not this person and have no information about them and to remove this number from their list, yet I continually get phone calls wanting to get a hold of that person.  

I enter their bill collects phone number in the phones block list, something that Verizon changes extra for with limits of 10 and can’t block non-regional phone calls which is useless for home phone service.

These SOB are spoofing phone numbers so makes if difficult to screen your calls.

Solution- get Google Voice and discontinue home phone service.

Once Google Voice captures their number, you can block it with out of service message :)
smcsmc19 posts since
Dec 19, 2011
Rep Points: 39