Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Opening A Reward Checking Account At Pioneer

Monday, April 22, 2013 - 9:05 PMPioneer Bank, SSB - Details
I recently visited the Austin branch of Pioneer Bank to open a "High Yield" checking account. The CSR had just started the application (made copies of my IDs and started entering application data into the computer) when the manager came out of her cubicle and informed me that this account was only meant to serve customers in the local area and it's intent was for use as a primary checking account. She continued, thet since my primary residence was in Houston, I would not be eligible for the account.

I was surprised and a bit embarassed. Before going in I had sent them an inquiry (including my address) via their web page. The response (from one of the branch managers) informed me that I would be welcome to come into any branch to open the account and never mentioned these additional requiremtents. As well, none of this was ever mentioned anywhere on the web site.
elarhelarh36 posts since
Jun 9, 2011
Rep Points: 102
1. Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 5:52 AM
Thanks for reporting on this. In my opinion it was rude of that branch manager to deny you the account after you had received an okay from another branch manager. The bank has been expanding and now has a branch in La Grange. So a customer slightly outside their market area shouldn't have been a major issue.

This does show that opening an account at any small bank that's outside of your local area should be considered a "your miles may vary" (YMMV) type of situation even when you get the okay from a branch manager.

Ken TuminKen Tumin5,468 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,029
2. Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 6:40 AM
I would not give up if you want the account. If you still have the email on your computer I would print it out and bring it with you to the branch of that manager.  If you don't have that email I would try to email the question  again to see if you get the same answer and print it or copy and paste it and bring it to that branch. 

Because it is a small bank a lot of decisions can be made by the managers. If you walk into the bank and it is refused show the CSR the email. She will open it most likely. If she contacts the manager you will get it only because of the drive you made or if refused I would write to the bank president and write a letter to the local paper in the letters to the editor. 
Ally6770Ally6770909 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,643
3. Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 7:12 PM
All's well that ends well. My application for the reward checking account was accepted and processed at the LaGrange branch of Pioneer with no issues. Who would have thought?
elarhelarh36 posts since
Jun 9, 2011
Rep Points: 102