Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Budgeting and Taxes

Money Saving Ideas:

Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 3:17 PM
From Boston.com:

Eight ways to save $50 per month - Managing Your Money

The three money wasting areas are: TV services, landline phone, and internet services.  Verizon put out complicated monthly bills every month and insists us to have paperless bills if we sign up for automatic payment.  I really need to reconsider our cheaper options in these three areas, thoughts? 

Eating out is the one of the areas that we want to spoil ourselves; money is earned for some well-deserved enjoyment; I will not sacrifice regular simple and cost-effective lunches (at the restaurant) with my wife  -- priceless.   
51hh51hh1,460 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,348
1. Monday, April 29, 2013 - 10:10 AM
Since this is on Money Saving Ideas, I would like to bring something to your attention.  Recently, when my DP had to stay in the hospital for two days for some minor surgery, I brought his BP medication with me and asked if I or they could use it to give to him once a day for the two days to keep from being charged their tremendous prices for administering RXs.  I was told it was against hospital policy and they had to give him their drugs.  Today, I found a price of almost $150.00 for "Self-Administering RX" on his EOB which was denied by our insurance which is a Medicare Advantage Plan.  I called and told them it was not Self- Administered and they only gave him one pill a day!  It seems Medicare and it's plans do not pay for these drugs in hospitals no matter who gives them and only the nurse can give them. 

This is so unfair to the patient and could have been even more costly if he had a longer stay in the hospital.  Does any one know a way around this for a patient or who I can complain to about this practice?  His BP med is generic and thank goodness one of the cheapest to buy.  However in a hospital, it is like being given gold!  If we seniors really want to save money, in these low interest rate days, we could save a lot by trying to do something about the over-charging being done in hospitals. 
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,083