Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Financial News

4 Big Problems With Social Security Numbers

Sunday, May 5, 2013 - 8:23 AM
From Credit.com:
A Social Security number is like a skeleton key — able to unlock a kingdom of untold riches for identity thieves. It is the central piece of data needed to hijack our credit, steal our health insurance, use us as human shields and generally wreak havoc in our lives. And every day, two branches of the U.S. government — the executive and the legislative — put our identities and sometimes even our lives at risk because of their mismanagement of Social Security numbers.

Read more
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,356 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 5,955
1. Sunday, May 5, 2013 - 9:04 AM
Ok so I agree with most of that article but really, how often does one show their Medicare card to anyone?  The way around this is to get an Advantage Plan etc. to use instead of Medicare and you rarely have to use your Medicare card for anything.  The Supplement Plans have their own ID numbers.  What aggravates me is that I have to put it on my tax forms and checks to pay all taxes.  A lot of strangers can get to see it that way more than other ways.  They need to give us each a special tax ID to use so they can match it with who we are.  They waste time and money on so much other useless stuff, one would think they could hire extra people to handle this much needed job.
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,083