Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

The SEC Is Expected To Soon Allow Hedge Funds To Advertise Themselves Directly To The General Public

Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 8:24 PM
The Securities and Exchange Commission is expected to soon begin allowing hedge funds and other private placement investments to begin advertising and otherwise promoting themselves to the general public. That means television commercials and gussied-up websites, not to mention cold calls and online marketing pitches, coming to your home. "Ms Olen, would you like to hear about an innovative investment strategy, formerly only known to the wealthiest of the wealthy ... ?

Occupy hedge funds: when private investment funds and the public collide | Money | guardian.co.uk

Seeing as the SEC is a revolving door for Wall Street executives it's not surprising to learn of this latest effort to entice the public to take-on even more risk to chase yield. The coming method of producing television ads for marketing derivitives to the average viewer ought to be be real interesting. "Mabel, what in the heck are these 'delivertives' this guy on the TV keeps talking about?"
ShorebreakShorebreak2,602 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,087
1. Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 8:04 AM
hedge most people on this site do not know the diFFerence between a hedge or a bush unless it is surrounded by the third and fourth letters of the alphabet less then 1 percent post about stocks bonds reits mutual funds etc which where the real money is to be made  IMHO  
takeahiketakeahike3 posts since
May 19, 2013
Rep Points: 3
2. Sunday, May 19, 2013 - 8:23 AM

Dear Shorebreak.

Another "positive" news from you!  Wow ...

For a very very long time entry into the Hedge Funds was beyond reach of many of the middle/lower income Americans.  It will be welcome if Hedge Funds lower their minimum initial investment amount, so that even the middle/lower income Americans can participate! I for one would have been very happy use the Hedge Fund offered by Bain Capital under the Hedge Fund Manager Willard Romney!  :-)

"Ms Olen, would you like to hear about an innovative investment strategy, formerly only known to the wealthiest of the wealthy ... ?

If/when I get such a call, my response will be:

"Surely I would. .... And thank you for giving me call. I've been waiting to get into the some of the well managed Hedge Funds. Let us go over the 1,3,5,10 year returns your fund has generated first, and next let me know background of the Hedge Fund Manager you've got, after that let me have the web-site from where I can download the account application, and finally let me have the address when I can mail my check! I'll do my due deligence and if everything checks out, I'll send the check".  :-)

Yours Truly,
- Anon
In FED I Trust  :-)

ytytytytytytytyt158 posts since
Jan 28, 2013
Rep Points: 623