Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Why Are Men Wasting Credit Card Reward Points?

Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 4:35 PM
The old maxim “waste not, want not” may be lost on U.S. men; a study says guys appear to be wasting big money by ignoring credit card rewards points.

Why Are Men Wasting Credit Card Reward Points? | Credit Center | Credit Cards | Get the best rates on mortgage, home equity loans, CD, money markets and checking accounts | BankingMyWay

ShorebreakShorebreak2,683 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,540
1. Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 5:44 PM
The survey was geared more toward travel reward.  However, the more profitable reward is not in travel.

If one takes a look at FWF, FT, etc., one will find out both men and women are equally interested in credit card rewards in general.
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,427
2. Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 8:40 PM
Shorebreak:  It's not just men.  I have thousands of reward points I have stored up from my credit card but have never used them.   The way mine works is you have to buy things and your reward points get you a discount.  I can never find stuff I want to buy so I can use the points.  So there are many reasons those points are wasted.  I can't just cash them in either so they just pile up. 
paoli2paoli21,401 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,135
3. Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 8:50 PM
There are so many cards that give cash. I use Pentagon's 5% taken off the bill for gas. I use their other card for 3% off groceries. When I got $50 in points I get a debit card with $50 on it and give it to my grand kids for their birthdays.

I use Lake Michigan's credit card for the 1% off everything else. I charge my electric, gas, phone, doctor, insurance, everything on it. I never pay cash. When I get $50 I call them up and they put the $50 in my reward checking account I have with them. They pay 3% up to $15,000. They even take the money out of my checking account to pay off their card every  month. You can choose the first of the month or the 15th of the month. 
Ally6770Ally6770937 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,724