Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

The Black Box Of Utah

Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 12:37 PM
Last night there was a tv program concerning a survelliance unit being built in Utah called the Black Box:

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2012/05/features/the-black-box

"Big Brother" could basically have access to everything in and about our private lives.  I cannot believe Americans will allow billions to be spent on a massive camera to spy into their lives.  Frankly, I don't think the average American even knows this is being built.  I sure didn't.   I found the above article on it and it seems to agree with the info on tv.
paoli2paoli21,400 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,132
1. Monday, May 27, 2013 - 8:44 AM
I don't know of your program but saw a program on CNN Sunday about the great data bases that are or will be available soon. They told of the medical outcomes and many other examples of how this will be used and sounds fantastic. They will be able to design your treatment by genetics and your particular body weight muscle mass and your circumstances of your ailment what medication, what dose  etc statistically would be ideal. They will have this info in their computers of past outcomes on all medications to know what will best suit your body. 

This can be used with the outcome of buildings through these horible storms to know what should be done if and when that building or home is to replaced. They will know by what your children read and how many times they read a page to know what that child needs for extra help in an area of study. This is going to be a whole new area of expertice. It will take a while to get used to but look at the wonderful things that are happening since most of us have access to fast internet. 

I no longer spend ours in the library looking up information, no longer have to wait weeks for a book and then find out it may or may not have the information I was looking for. 

As with all things it can and I am sure will be abused by some but the good that it can and will do I am sure will be more beneficial than the bad. 
Ally6770Ally6770930 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,706
2. Monday, May 27, 2013 - 11:30 AM
Rosie:  Your program sounds more fascinating than the  one we were shown.  I would love to have seen it.  I would be for having that type of information available.  Imagine a doctor being able to know just "which" drug is correct for your body makeup etc. etc. without our having to try several before he can figure out the right one.  Much good can be had from this type of data.  Maybe they will rerun it and I can watch it.  The Black Box was mainly on getting data for survelliance and finding problem people before they do their bad deeds etc.
paoli2paoli21,400 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,132
3. Monday, May 27, 2013 - 12:30 PM
  The Black Box was mainly on getting data for survelliance and finding problem people before they do their bad deeds etc.

So much for the legal fiction of "presumption of innocence." This reminds me of an episode of the Outer Limits ("Stitch in Time") which aired in 1996, in which an FBI detective (played by Michelle Forbes) was pursuing a time traveler (played by Amanda Plummer) who was going back in time to kill criminals before they could commit their crimes. The detective picks up where the time traveler left off at the end of the episode. So, in some ways, life really does imitate art.
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
Rep Points: 1,285