Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

If Not Geithner, Who Will Replace Bernanke?

Saturday, June 1, 2013 - 8:43 AM
Prominent people in Washington and on Wall Street say President Barack Obama is starting to focus on what may be the most important appointment of his second term: the next chairman of the Federal Reserve.

Ben Bernanke's term expires in January and he has told associates that the eight challenging years he will have served would be enough. Some people close to the president say his top personal choice to succeed Bernanke would be former Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner. They established a close bond over four years.

If Not Geithner, Who Will Replace Bernanke?  - Bloomberg

Yellen appears to be the "favorite"...

"If there were an oddsmaker's book, the favorite still would be the current vice chairman, Janet Yellen. She is respected by fellow economists and would likely go over well with markets. One possible hurdle: she clashes frequently with Dan Tarullo, a Fed board member who was an Obama adviser in the 2008 campaign and still has ties to the White House."
ShorebreakShorebreak2,700 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,634
1. Saturday, June 1, 2013 - 8:55 AM
Why not give a woman a chance?  Frankly I think she would try harder if nothing else.  Why is it that "ties to the White House" seems to be the secret code here?  Doesn't the White House want to protect our country financially? I do hope Yellen gets the chance inspite of Tarullo.
paoli2paoli21,406 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,152
2. Saturday, June 1, 2013 - 12:58 PM
Seriously..... Are you expecting a softer side of the FED just because of a woman?

The Fed is going to do what it does. 
RicochetRicochet135 posts since
Jan 19, 2010
Rep Points: 367
3. Saturday, June 1, 2013 - 1:13 PM
No, not a softer side but hopefully a stronger side.  The Fed can do what it does but in maybe a "better" way if they give Janet Yellen a chance to guide it.  If you think women are "softer" you sure don't seem to know many of my kind of women.  Soft is not who they are.  Tenacious and tough would be a better description for those I know.
paoli2paoli21,406 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,152
4. Saturday, June 1, 2013 - 1:39 PM
Jamie Dimon, CEO of JPMorgan Chase, and Lloyd Blankfein, CEO of Goldman Sachs, will probably have a big say in who will be the next Chairman of the Fed.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,700 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,634