Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Fine Print And Red Tape In Long-Term Care Policies

Monday, June 17, 2013 - 9:03 AM
Long term care insurance is often discussed in this forum.  It may not be appropriate (or affordable) for everyone, and it is certainly not "set it and forget it". 

From The NewYork Times:
One of the big reasons people buy long-term care insurance is to avoid burdening a spouse or grown children when they can no longer care for themselves.

But some family members are shouldering another type of burden: one that involves piles of paperwork and repeated phone calls, as they are forced to navigate a labyrinth of requirements to collect benefits that the insured spent many years paying.

“There is no possible way an elderly person who is ill and needs help can possibly do this work,” said Fiona Havlish, who coordinated her father’s home care in Pottstown, Pa., before he died last year, a week after his 90th birthday. “It took six to eight weeks to get the insurance into place, and this was working on it every single day. It was an incredible amount of work.”

Read more
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,474 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,406
1. Friday, October 4, 2013 - 2:04 AM
I'd rather collate documents and submit them to insurance companies rather than shoulder the long term care expenses of my loved ones. The cost of care is expensive and its cost will continue to rise in the coming years. For me, purchasing long term care insurance is still the most secured way of getting old and paying for skilled care or custodial care. I guess family members need to be familiar with the steps on how to file a claim as early as possible. According to http://www.ltcoptions.com/, you need to submit documents such as receipts, invoices, bills or any proof of payment together with a completed form for claim, notes coming from your care provider or phyiscian and your plan of care. You need to accomplish all the needed paperwork if you want to avoid delay. After that, the company will evaluate if your loved one is eligible and may even ask for additional information. It seems to be a daunting task but this is much better than having no coverage at all.

thereserobsthereserobs1 posts since
Oct 4, 2013
Rep Points: 1