Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Recent Poll: Do You Trust Your Bank More Than Congress?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 4:57 PM
A recent Gallup poll asked this question.  The answer is that Americans trust banks more than Congress.  That says a lot.

Read This
Knudsen7Knudsen727 posts since
Apr 27, 2013
Rep Points: 117
1. Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 6:51 PM
It says a lot, and yet at the same time it doesn't say much for either institution that of those individuals polled, 26% trust banks, 10% trust Congress.    There is no mention of the sample size of the poll but presumably it is appropriate.  In any case, the numbers are pitiful any way you look at them.

Do I trust the banks with which I do business?  Yes - I trust that their first priority is to look out for and protect their own interests.  I trust that any product or convenience they offer me is somehow to their benefit.  I trust them to give themselves all the rights in any dispute, and to leave me only that which is absolutely demanded by law and little else.  I trust that when dealing with them I need to ask questions, make sure to understand the answers, set aside any and all attempts to influence my decision, and decide for myself what is best for me. 

Do I trust my elected officials?  Although unfair to tar all with the same brush I believe that the days of public service being an honored calling and an honorable profession are long gone.  Regretably, few of our public servants appear to have our ("We the people") interests at heart.    The only thing I trust and count on is that they will look out and protect their own interests, since the main goal of our representatives seems to be to win re-election and meet the expectations of whatever special interest group is helping them do that.  
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,438 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,267
2. Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 7:40 PM
Goodness Pearl, I couldn't have said it better myself.  Maybe I will copy and post it again under Paoli's name and pretend I did say it.  :)  Seriously, I totally agree with you about the banks and politicians and feel badly that we have to feel this way about both.  I am as conscientious about choosing my banks as I am about voting for certain politicians.  On both sides, the good ones are getting fewer and fewer.  What a sad thing to say about our country.  At the rate we are going, I don't see things getting better for banks or politicians.
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011