Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Reasons Why Credit Card Is Declined

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 - 8:39 AM
From Bankrate.com:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/c...ined-1.asp

Further, it is always good to notify one's credit card company (fraud department) of upcoming trips/large expenses/unusual expenses. 
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,425
1. Tuesday, July 9, 2013 - 11:58 AM
It's good advice, 51hh and thanks for posting the article.  I always do this before traveling so the credit company will not immediately shut down the card for suspected fraud.

I discovered last year while making my annual charitable contributions - and perhaps should have anticipated- that some credit card issuers also get nervous if they see many charges (even modest amounts) appear in a short time frame from different parts of the country.  What is interesting is that I was using individual Secure Account Numbers for each donation, which i had set up earlier in the day on their website.  Apparently setting up x number of secure numbers in one session did not raise red flags, but actually using them did.  

My card was declined while making the fourth donation (using the fourth Secure Account Number), and sixty seconds later my phone was ringing, with an associate from the card's Fraud Department at the other end of the line.  I verified that the charges were legitimate, explained what I was doing, and informed them how many others to expect.    

I had no problems after that, but made a mental note to give issuers a heads up ahead of this exercise in the future.
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,430 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,246