Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Exercise Can Be Fun, Simple, And Money-Saving

Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 9:16 PM
From MarketWatch.com:

For U.S. retirees, fitness lessons from Japan - Elizabeth O'Brien's Retire Well - MarketWatch

"You don’t need to break a serious sweat, either. Experts recommend “moderate” exercise, and on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 sitting on the couch and watching TV, and 10 running so hard you can’t talk, moderate exercise would be a 5 or a 6, Mantell said—the equivalent of walking when you’re in a hurry. Older exercisers should combine aerobic exercise around five times a week with strength training at least two times a week and regular balance training, experts recommend. While balance training can take the form of tai chi or yoga, it could also simply mean standing on one foot while waiting in line at the store (as long as there is ready support nearby)."
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,427
1. Friday, July 19, 2013 - 8:15 AM
Why don't doctors consider grocery or other shopping exercise?  My grocery shopping is a marathon run!  I want to get in and out as quickly as possible.  Due to certain medical injuries it is very painful to shop the way I do so I tried one of those carts.  Hubby had a fit trying to protect shoppers from me since I drove it into everything and everyone. So now they are safe because I am back to run-shopping.  However, my doc says it doesn't count as exercise.  Well for me it's the best he's going to get.   I am using my legs, right?  I'm using my arms pushing others out of my way so why isn't this exercise?  Hubby gets his exercise running behind me and protecting other shoppers.  I think we both get a "lot" of exercise in the stores.
paoli2paoli21,400 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,132