Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

An Explosion In Part-Time Employment

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 8:30 AM
Though the total number of jobs increased in the United States in June 2013, the number of full-time jobs actually decreased. The trend toward part-time employment is not a temporary one. It is driven by globalization, technology and increased payroll costs, especially health care costs.

An Explosion in Part-Time Employment :: Fox&Hounds
ShorebreakShorebreak2,621 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,208
1. Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 1:22 PM
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t08.htm#cps_empsit_a05.f.3

Gov statistics from June 2012 to June 2013 
Ally6770Ally6770912 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,655
2. Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 3:21 PM
It seems like the chart Rosie shared shows that people who work part time because this is what they prefer to do is double that of those only able to get part time work.   I think the way things are going, employers are going to be forcing most employees into part time work if Obamacare passes.  It may get to be very difficult to find fulltime work in the coming years.
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011
3. Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 4:19 PM
I have a daughter-in-law who  signs up for nights that she is available to work in ER. She is able to sleep when the children are in school, go to all of their school functions and my son is there with the children at night. She does it 2 or 3 nights a week. They have forced overtime and if she is not able to get home by 5 am when my son (a doctor) goes to work I go to their house, about 3 miles from my home. Some of her shifts are 4 hours, some are 12 unless they are swamped and she will have to work longer. I also worked part-time for many years so I could be home with the children. When the boys were small I worked Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights after my husband got home and all day Sunday for double time. Made the same as I would have working full time and paying a babysitter and we were able to be with the children ourselves. 

In fact when my husband was put on disability and I could no longer leave him by himself I did bookwork at home for many years. I also kept township books at home. I did my husbands bookwork at home also when he was working 2 jobs. 
Ally6770Ally6770912 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,655