Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Penfed Offers Chip Enabled Platinum Rewards Card

Thursday, August 8, 2013 - 2:13 PMPentagon Federal Credit Union - Details
I was pleased to see that Pen Fed is offering to replace my platinum rewards card with a chip enabled card. You can request it on the web site.  Sign in, click on the plus symbol before your credit card on the main menu to expand the credit card info. There is a line to request the chip card.  The account number on the card will change.
marcalmarcal7 posts since
Apr 3, 2011
Rep Points: 26
1. Thursday, August 8, 2013 - 3:40 PM
Good post marcal. I requested mine back on the 1st of this month.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,692 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,596
2. Thursday, August 8, 2013 - 5:49 PM
I have an account with Penfed.  Can anyone explain why this credit card is so special, if it is.  Thanks.
paoli2paoli21,405 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,149
3. Thursday, August 8, 2013 - 7:40 PM
If one travels overseas you would be wise to have a chip enabled credit card. Otherwise it may not be honored.

“Since chip-enabled terminals are fairly uncommon in the United States, where the vast majority of merchants only support magnetic stripe cards, our current focus is to provide chip cards to our members who live in or frequently travel outside of the United States,” explained Frank Pollack, President and CEO, PenFed. “Our members can now experience greater card acceptance, enhanced security, and overall increased peace of mind when traveling abroad.”
ShorebreakShorebreak2,692 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,596