Featured Accounts

Product Shrinkage

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 7:50 PM
If you're feeling your dollars are not going as far as they once did,
here's part of the problem:

". . .hundreds of products to have undergone shrinkage
      . . .canned goods (from 16 ounces down to 14 or 15), bags of sugar
      (from 6 to 5 pounds), canned juices (8 percent shrinkage), crackers
      (15 percent), orange juice cartons (from 64 to 58 ounces). . .

Read more:

Also add in the misleading packaging practices of the pill makers outlined
in this Consumer Reports article.  Please add your own favorites here.
cumuluscumulus330 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 1,554
1. Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 11:05 PM
Product 'shrinkage' has been an ongoing problem and unfortunately it looks like it's here to stay.   The most outrageous instance (maybe a year old) which comes to mind is the overnight shrinkage of the 1.5 pound package of fresh spinach I used to buy each week at my local Sam's to a 1 pound package for the same price.   I called the vendor's Consumer Relations line and left a polite but pointed message that their effective price increase of 50% had not gone unnoticed.  =D

Roughly 75-80% of my food dollars are spent on items priced by the pound or unit (fruits, vegetables, chicken, etc), instead of packaged items.  So, although I am vulnerable to product shrinkage, what I see most often is "dollar shrinkage":  my dollar is buying less because the prices are higher on most of the items most frequently purchased.  I haven't noticed shrinkage in the other products - yet - but will be replenishing my stock of some things in the near future and am mentally prepared for smaller amounts of pasta in the boxes and fewer sheets on the rolls of paper towels.   

pearlbrownpearlbrown1,431 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,248
2. Monday, August 19, 2013 - 6:26 AM
I first noticed product shrinkage in the 60's when I worked in the grocery store. First thing I noticed was toothpaste, shampoo, coffee. I can remember coffee being in a 3lb package. I just pulled a pkg of coffee out of the cupboard and is 1lb 13oz. I buy either frozen or fresh veggies and fruit and they still are sold by the pound. I do buy my chicken in large pkgs. I have purchased the chicken breasts in 40 lb pkgs. I repackage the chicken breasts in Glad wrap or something similar to get the air out of the pkg and then in freezer bags. I also have a freezer that I have to  defrost. Food keeps for a very long time and never has freezer burn and it doesn't seem to loose its flavor. I put the packaged food in those plastic milk crates and they are easy to remove when I defrost the freezer. Takes 20 minutes. My old freezer had a built in heater but the new one does not. I put in 4 large stock pans in the bottom of the freezer 1/2 filled with hot water drawn from the  nearby water heater, close the freezer and in 10 minutes take a rubber tipped dust pan and get the ice out and wipe it down with a beach towel and put the food back in the freezer. 
Ally6770Ally6770909 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,643
3. Monday, August 19, 2013 - 9:02 AM
"I know we are getting less potato chips and more air in the bag and still paying the full price.  I get that we are missing half an ounce or more of product in our beverages.  However, I thought with the toilet paper they were just making thinner sheets and less sheets on a roll but no they have cut an inch off the length."

Toilet Paper Rolls Keep Shrinking As the Price Goes Up
ShorebreakShorebreak2,607 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,112