Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Just Received The Following E

Friday, February 19, 2010 - 2:13 PM
Just received the following e-mail from Darby Direct:

Dear Darby Direct Customer:
36 Month Step Up CD

As a valued customer, we would like to inform you about changes to your Darby Direct 36 Month Step Up CD. The last day to make additional deposits to your 36 Month Step Up CD is Sunday, February 28th. Following this date, no additional deposits can be made. For account disclosure information, please click here.

Upon opening Darby Direct's 36 Month Step Up CD, the Truth in Savings Disclosure for the account stated:  

"You may make unlimited deposits into your account."

It has been my understanding that the Truth in Savings Disclosure is a form of a contract, and that consequently, the bank cannot unilaterally change the terms of the disclosure/"contract" during the term of the CD. 

Otherwise, what would prevent them from changing the stated interest rate or any other detail pertaining to the CD during the CD's term?

Does anyone have specific knowledge as to whether Darby Direct is violating FDIC, State, or other govermental entity regulations by unilaterally changing the terms of the Truth in Savings Disclosure during the term of the CD?
OldtimerOldtimer1 posts since
Feb 19, 2010
Rep Points: 14
1. Friday, February 19, 2010 - 5:33 PM
Re comment #185 (Darby Bank)

Yes, this is ridiculous -- they were allowing unlimited deposits into this CD, I double-checked my own Account Disclosure PDF that I had saved right after signing up for this. It says "You may make unlimited deposits into your account"

Any way BankDealsGuy Ken you can find out if this is legal to just amend a CD contract unilaterally like this? If you want the original PDF let me know.
AnonymousAnonymous2,282 posts since
May 9, 2010
Rep Points: 3,951