Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Financial Secrets

Monday, August 26, 2013 - 5:44 PM
MarketWatch.com:

10 things your spouse won’t tell you - 10 things - MarketWatch

Ok, why men are more often to be blamed?:D  I thought it should be applied to both sides.
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
1. Monday, August 26, 2013 - 9:49 PM
My apologies for my first post.  I misunderstood the intentions of the poster. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned by this post and I had no right to be critical of it.  Thank you for your understanding. 
paoli2paoli21,372 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,011
2. Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 3:45 PM
What a sad commentary on relationships in our society....the constant lying about money....and taking advantage of each other....the whole gold digging thing.

From the time I started working 40 yrs ago, I firmly believed in being financially independent.  I was a very lucky lady being with the man I lived with and married.  I told him right at the start that we needed to keep our money separate...he had savings of several thousand from working hard during high school and college and I started with maybe a couple hundred in savings.   We both worked.   We kept a joint checking account that we both contributed to 50-50 to cover joint expenses....everything else was separate accts.    We had some good laughs and some fun arguments when we'd sit down once a month and decide what expenses were joint and which we should each pay for separately.   We both knew everything that was going on financially.   At first we were making similar amounts, but then later he was making more....no problemo.....we still kept our savings separate and no hard feelings by me or him.

You might ask....what didn't you know about him?   True, maybe he was doing something on the side, but a spouse/partner knows when something is fishy....and that was not my guy and that wasn't me either.

I've had people ask me about this kind of financial set-up and what the two of us did, and I highly recommend this.   Usually both are working in this day and age anyway, and the separate set-up keeps both (I think) being responsible about money....it's not somebody else's you are spending, it's your own hard earned dough!
foggyfoggy8 posts since
Jun 20, 2010
Rep Points: 55