Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Budgeting and Taxes

Ways To Fend Off The Wealth-Sapping Costs Of A Disability

Monday, September 2, 2013 - 4:44 PM
Looking after the aging, especially those with mental and physical incapacities, is almost always emotionally and physically exhausting for families. It can also become a financial nightmare as families struggle to cover the costs of medical care, assisted living facilities and nursing homes -- a burden far greater than most people realize.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-28/ways-to-fend-off-the-wealth-sapping-costs-of-a-disability.html
ShorebreakShorebreak2,368 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,624
1. Tuesday, September 3, 2013 - 3:21 PM
My husband was in a car accident in 1984 and had a broken neck and a severe head injury along with other injuries. He was not put on 100% disability until 1995. We were not able to get long term care after the accident. I was able to work until 2008 and then retired to care for him 24 hours a day for his last 5 years. Not sure why but it never was a burden. I considered it an act of love. The only thing that I was sad about was the accident itself. It was caused by a drunk who was also on cocaine. 

I think I did much better coping caring for him myself. I have to believe that it was better for my husband also. 
AllyAlly777 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,263
2. Tuesday, September 3, 2013 - 4:24 PM
Rosie:  That is terrible about your husband's accident.  It certainly has to mean more to the patient to be cared for by a loved one (if they are able) than someone who is only doing it as a job.  Your story reminds me of what happened to my frail beautiful sister who was ill all of her life with various medical problems.  Towards the end she had to have around the clock nursing care for her shots etc and it looked like she would have to be put in a nursing home.  That was the one thing she feared.  To our surprise and shock, her husband had them teach him to give her the shots and all the medications she needed and and was able to care for her until she died about a year later.  He is an elderly man in his late 70's at the time he took care of her and not someone you would think could handle nursing his wife and carrying her in and out of her wheelchair.  It was the best gift he ever gave her and me.  I certainly didn't want her to die in a nursing home.  She was at peace inspite of her pain because she got to spend her last months at home with her family.  Because of your care, your husband must have been at great peace knowing he didn't have to be seperated from his family because of those terrible incapacitating injuries. 
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,087