Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Good Jobs, Lots Of Dollar Stores: The U.S.’s Best Cities For Cheapskates

Monday, September 9, 2013 - 5:21 PM
Which American cities are best for folks who prefer to keep tight hold of their money? Don’t go looking anywhere along the coasts.  Kiplinger.com recently named its list of the “10 Best Cities for Cheapskates” using some criteria that seems obvious—low cost of living, above-average incomes—and a few quirky frugal factors as well, including the relative abundance of free activities like public concerts and lectures and the number of Dollar General stores in proximity to the city.

Good Jobs, Lots of Dollar Stores: The U.S.’s Best Cities for Cheapskates | TIME.com
ShorebreakShorebreak2,694 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,602
1. Monday, September 9, 2013 - 5:35 PM
I rarely have shopped at Dollar Stores.  They are definitely not for cheapskates since they aren't cheap.  I am always surprised that the prices are basically the same as other stores I shop in and "Dollar" Store is a very misleading name. They have nothing I can't get cheaper at my local Walmarts.  They should be called the "Dollar and Up" Store.
paoli2paoli21,405 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,149
2. Monday, September 9, 2013 - 6:05 PM
I respectively disagree with your assertion paoli2. Evidently you don't know how to 'shop' a Dollar Store. I purchase all my birthday cards there at two for a dollar. Those are the same cards selling for $2.50 at the well known big-box store. I love the Palmolive soap for sale there, three bars for a dollar. My White Rain shampoo is sold there for a dollar. One can find many handy items there at much cheaper prices than other stores. You just have to separate the crap from the real bargains.

Of course that was not the object of the story. Dollar Stores don't make a city so that's merely a grabber headline to read the story, of course.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,694 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,602
3. Monday, September 9, 2013 - 6:17 PM
Dollar General is not the same as Dollar Tree. Dollar Tree has everything for $1 or less. Dollar General rarely has a good deal around here anyway. 

I have purchased $1 placemats that looked like the same as the $4 ones at Bed Bath and Beyond. I have purchased Irish Coffee pedestal mugs for $1 and they were from $3 to $5 at the local stores. They also have the same brand turkey bacon as in the grocery stores and you can use coupons on the bacon there also. I also have purchased a lot of greeting cards there for 2/$1. Some I have to get at other stores though. They are the sometimes the same ones I have seen at WalMart. The WalMart in our city is not cheap. I shop at Meijers and gets things much cheaper. I am getting free Smucker topping this week, paying $1.50 for the Health Choice steamable dinners this week. Last week they had Smart Ones for busy days for $1.30 with the coupons but have purchased them for less. Have purchased $3 bottles of shampoo for .83 cents a couple of weeks ago. I love my Meijers. Have purchased whole grain pasta for 50¢.
Ally6770Ally6770941 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,739
4. Monday, September 9, 2013 - 7:16 PM
Count me a convert to the "2/$1 cards" crowd - although I often splurge on the $1 cards.  I gave up on Hmark the day that they offered drab so-so-nothing-special cards for an extraordinary occasion.  I sent a heartfelt personal note (which would have been added to the card anyway) on pretty stationery instead.  After realizing it was more appreciated and meant more to the recipient - I gave up my expensive card habit cold turkey and have never looked back. 

I prefer DollarTree to Dollar General because there is no question about price, and I have no concerns about quality there.  Books, cards, wrapping paper, baskets for organizing, "find a word" books and Jergens bath soap in just the right size for my favorite senior, little "thinking of you" presents, Palmolive dishwashing detergent, and did I mention books?  ... it boggles the imagination.  

Oh, and based on a recent article, maybe dollar stores will catch on as a place to meet that "special someone".  So, cities with good jobs and lots of dollar stores:  it's an angle just waiting to be discovered by a clever spin doctor ;)
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,481 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,438
5. Monday, September 9, 2013 - 7:38 PM
Wow!  I must be shopping in the wrong Dollar Stores.  I have to find those great ones you people go to.  I get my cheapie greeting cards off of the $1.00 counter at the super market.  I had no idea I could get them even cheaper! I could get really, really, rich reading your posts!  Thanks for sharing.
paoli2paoli21,405 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,149