Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

U.S. Going Cashless? We're Not Alone, And We're Not In The Lead

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 8:03 AM
It’s no secret that more and more Americans are turning away from cash in favor of using debit cards, credit cards and mobile and online payments.

It turns out the rest of the world is going cashless too.

http://www.bankingmyway.com/home/...-not-in-led
ShorebreakShorebreak2,700 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,633
1. Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 9:48 AM
"In 20 years or so, don’t be surprised if dollar bills go the way of the duck-billed platypus."

Nothing wrong with the platypus, it's not even endangered in its habitat. The author seems to have mixed up the similes here and actually meant the dodo.
darkdreamer4udarkdreamer4u178 posts since
Jun 11, 2010
Rep Points: 638
2. Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 12:35 PM
I carry a very small amount of cash in my wallet for emergencies, but use a credit card to pay for purchases.  99% of my bills are paid thru BillPay, and the remainder (auto registration, property taxes, HOA dues, income tax, lawn care and a couple of personal expenses) are paid with checks.  

Using credit cards and checks allows me to track my expenses, and as an added advantage credit cards earn rewards (points or miles).   Cash receipts can be accidentally misplaced, which admittedly can be useful sometimes.  If there is no receipt, it didn't happen.  (Hello not-on-mydiet small ice cream cone on a scorching hot day  =) )
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,491 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,486
3. Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 4:34 PM
Haven't used cash for 30 years. And if I have any in my pocket it is from bottle returns when I did not get groceries. If I have $2 in my purse it is a miracle. 

I even use the cash rewards debit card for the 50¢ ice cream cone that BK had this summer. Bought one every week after grocery shopping. 

If people won't take a credit card or debit card I don't shop there. Before debit cards it was  credit card or checks. Only use the debit card for $2 or less in purchases. Use the cash back credit card for all other purchases.  
Ally6770Ally6770943 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,742