Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

What Makes A Successful Retirement?

Sunday, March 2, 2014 - 7:58 PM
Many analyses find no evidence that retirees actually follow the conventional advice to spend a safe percentage of their wealth each year in retirement. They seem to just watch it grow. This, of course, leads to the question — why did you accumulate the money in the first place? Isn’t the point of spending less and carefully investing during our working years so that we can live better in retirement?

Finke: What Makes a Successful Retirement?
ShorebreakShorebreak2,695 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,611
1. Sunday, March 2, 2014 - 8:05 PM
"Most importantly, remember that money alone doesn’t buy a happy retirement. Perhaps the most valuable resource you get from retirement is more time. How are you going to use it?"

So true.
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,427
2. Sunday, March 2, 2014 - 9:11 PM
A successful retirement is being able to be there and know you are able to help those who need you.  Money can buy happiness if it can help someone you care about dearly to survive.
paoli2paoli21,406 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,150
3. Sunday, March 2, 2014 - 11:34 PM
Money does not bring happiness but the lack of money can cause misery. Happiness to me is having the time to spend with family, more time to enjoy the beach, sunrises and sunsets, long walks, not to be rushed while having a cup of coffee with a friend, visiting museums, volunteering at the local food bank etc. Doing all the things I didn't have time for while raising and caring for a family and working. 
I do like that the that money that was saved can be used for  those in need. 
Ally6770Ally6770942 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,740