Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

The Time It Takes A Check To Clear At Regional Banks

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 7:12 AM
"An important part of managing your finances properly is knowing how long it takes for a check to clear from your bank. Each bank has a different set of policies that determine the time it takes for funds to become fully available. If you don’t currently bank at one of the top 10 banks in the country, finding out how long a check takes to clear can be difficult. While some banks make it easy to find out how long it takes for funds from a deposited check to clear, not all banks are as transparent and forthcoming with this information."

http://www.mybanktracker.com/news...onal-banks
ShorebreakShorebreak2,625 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,226
1. Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 9:52 AM
If I have a large check which has to go through my local checking account and I want to be able to use the funds asap, I find it helps to get a manager from the check's bank to call my local bank and verify that the funds are available for the check to be cleared overnight.  Otherwise my bank cannot give me an exact date when the funds will be available.
paoli2paoli21,373 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,013
2. Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 12:06 PM
When I have had large checks I usually copy or write down the check information and call that bank in the morning or the following morning to see if it has been paid. Usually that is all I am concerned about because I use the credit card for everything and have the bill debited from my account when it is due. Depositing banks will give you access to your funds using their bank policy but even before the paying bank has deducted it from the actual account and you find out days or weeks later that it was counterfeit, stolen or a washed check. Just because you have access to the funds does not mean the check went through. 
Ally6770Ally6770914 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,662