Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

SS Will No Longer Forward Mail.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 1:26 PM
Change your address when you move with each place you do business with as well as the with the post office. As people discard land lines and opt out of information of where you live on sites on the internet it may be hard to find you. 
Social Security will stop forwarding letters | BenefitsPro 
Elaine MarooneyElaine Marooney1 posts since
Apr 19, 2014
Rep Points: 5
1. Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 2:13 PM
Thanks for the info.  This may have a big impact on those who do not bother to register and follow their SS account on the internet.  I think this is great that we can see so much of our past and present social security info just by accessing our SS accounts on the internet.  I was surprised to read in the article that the IRS is discontinuing forwarding mail.  I don't know how to keep up with any IRS personal info on the internet so how are people supposed to know the IRS is trying to contact them??
paoli2paoli21,406 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 6,152
2. Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 6:37 PM
If you file you used your address. IRS will use that information. If you move after you file, they will check with the forwarding address at the post office. The post office most likely will forward any mail they send you for a year or sometimes more.
Ally6770Ally6770942 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,741
3. Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 8:00 PM
I remit quarterly estimated taxes and have four opportunities to notify the IRS of an address change.
ShorebreakShorebreak2,696 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,620