Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Bank Of America $220 Checking Account Offer

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 7:18 PM
You must have a BOA credit card and NO BOA checking account.

Get more than $200 in statement credits on your credit card when you bank with us:
  • Earn $100 for setting up Direct Deposit within 3 months.
  • Earn $20 each month for six months for paying your Bank of America credit card online from your new Bank of America checking account.
http://promo.bankofamerica.com/card_credits/CHC220OL
TomTom1 posts since
Aug 25, 2010
Rep Points: 1
1. Wednesday, December 8, 2010 - 6:39 AM
This promotion has been extended to 1/21/2011. I have more details in my Bank of America promotion review
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
2. Wednesday, December 8, 2010 - 9:29 PM
Hm, sounds like you'd want to (re-)familiarize yourself with Doctor Faustus before entering into a relationship with B of A...
darkdreamer4udarkdreamer4u174 posts since
Jun 11, 2010
Rep Points: 632
3. Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 4:30 PM
Hm, sounds like you'd want to (re-)familiarize yourself with Doctor Faustus before entering into a relationship with B of A...

Witty, and a great cultural reference, but essentially irrelevant when evaluating whether or not to do this deal.  As far as I know, BoA has no claims on my soul, yet I've benefited greatly from them, including a 4.5% 30-year fixed-rate mortgage, a HELOC at Prime - 0.76% (both ongoing), decent 0% BT offers and other credit card promotions (in the past), and am currently meetiing the requirements for $400 in bonuses ($200 for me, $200 for my wife) for their recently-expired business checking account promotion, the opening of which was online.

Despite my 30-year banking relationship with BoA (which I've been very happy with), most of my funds are in RCAs.  Two key points:  go for financial deals that are worthwhile for you and not let yourself necessarily be dissuaded by a banks so-called reputation, unless it's truly justifiied; and take basic precautions when taking advantage of a promotion or bonus.

Those precautions include:

1.  Saving not just the advertisement of the promotion, ideallly to a PDF file, but doing the same for the terms and conditions and/or specific disclosures concerning the promotion.

2.  Documenting proof of having met the requirements of the promotion.

3.  Being prepared to give copies of items 1 and 2 to a CSR (ideally a manager or supervisor, since they generally have more discretion making decisions than a typical frontline CSR does) should the bank not pay the earned bonus, either deliberately (possible, but unlikely) or from ignorance (must probable).

4.  When speaking with someone at a bank regarding an issue, be polite and respectful, but firm.  (This actually is a good general approach to take regardless to whom you are speaking and what the situation is.)

Gnerally, the lessons learned from Doctor Faustus apply to situations other than deciding on whether you want to take advantage of a BoA bonus offer.  :-)
glxpassglxpass38 posts since
May 2, 2010
Rep Points: 240