Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

The Lost And Found Of Missing Money

Friday, July 22, 2011 - 11:37 AM
From TheStreet.com
We often hear of an unexpected windfall or bonus as being "found money." Unfortunately, Americans waste billions in "lost" assets.

Through personal oversight, negligence and even misdirection, people lose money that is rightfully theirs -- by the billions.

According to the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators, an association of the state unclaimed property programs, nearly $33 billion of unclaimed property is in state treasuries.

There are forgotten bank accounts, uncashed dividends, ignored stocks, unredeemed  savings bonds, missing lottery tickets, never-claimed rental and....

[Read more....]
WhataBummerWhataBummer413 posts since
Oct 15, 2010
Rep Points: 1,702
1. Friday, July 22, 2011 - 9:15 PM
Three years ago, I searched the missingmoney website and was surprised to see a reference under my name for an expense reimbursement check from a former employer. I submitted the required documentation and received the funds promptly minus a very modest fee.   Friends have found forgotten security and utility deposits and university fee refunds via the website. 

I suggest checking the missingmoney website for every state where one has lived, as well as other names used, such as maiden names, for example.  Those who care for senior loved ones would be wise to check the website for their names as well. 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,485 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,454