Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Budgeting and Taxes

When Will Social Security Statements Become Available?

Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 9:34 PM
From Planning to Retire - USNews.com
For workers with birthdays in July or later in the year, your Social Security benefit statement isn’t in the mail. The Social Security Administration suspended the mailing of annual paper benefit statements to taxpayers in March 2011. Eventually SSA plans to make the statement available online for all workers and resume mailings to individuals age 60 and older, but has not yet set a definitive date when either of these communications will begin taking place.

Copies of Social Security statements are currently unavailable. Some of the information provided in the statements, such as an estimate of your future retirement benefits at various claiming ages, is available online using SSA’s retirement estimator tool. However, other facts from the statement including your earnings record and estimates about disability and survivor’s benefits are not currently provided through other channels.

Officials estimate that paper and online statements may be resumed in early 2012....

[Read more...]
WhataBummerWhataBummer413 posts since
Oct 15, 2010
Rep Points: 1,702
1. Friday, July 29, 2011 - 9:13 AM
I bet everyone here already knows this, but about 15 years ago an important footnote was added to the SS statement. That footnote, translated means all the information is not real. And it clearly states the reason. Congress, at any time and for any reason can change any law pertaining to social security, completly altering all estimated and actual payments... and the age at which the potential payments may or may not begin. If you have a paper copy handy, you should look for the asterisk next to the estimates. That asterisk is tied to the footnote at the bottom of the statement. If no one here can find it... ill find mine and type it exactly as written on my statements.
MikeMike327 posts since
Feb 22, 2010
Rep Points: 875