Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Broadway Federal Bank In Los Angeles Alerting About Phishing -- ?Was There A Data Breach?

Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 9:53 PMBroadway Federal Bank - Details
Broadway Federeal Bank in Los Angeles is putting out a major alert warning people not to give out their security information (such as passwords, PINS) to anyone contacting them, whether via phone, e-mail, texting, or other. 

The bank is sending out the warning in e-mail and in a BIG display at the top of its home page, at:

Broadway Federal Bank

They give NO information about why this warning is needed, and in so major a way. Considering they are just a small bank locally in Los Angeles, they would seem an unlikely one to be used for a general phishing attack in which the perpetrator just hopes some of the millions who get it actually have an account at Broadway. I have to think this is related to a data breach -- and if so, I find it completely unacceptable that they are not informing customers of such. 

They closed two branches recently -- might a disgruntled employee have lifted account info before being laid off? Or were they hacked? Or??? I don't like having to ask such questions and wonder; they should be explaining, not merely scaring.

The warning follows:

Debit and ATM CARD SECURITY ALERT!

Please beware of anyone calling, texting or emailing you requesting your Debit /ATM card number, and PIN number, in order to update your account or make your account more secure.

This is a SCAM!  At no time will Broadway Federal ask you to divulge account information or passwords via email or phone.  Debit/ATM card numbers, PIN numbers and passwords will never be required to enable you to find out the status of your account.

If you receive one of these messages, please do not respond, and call your local branch immediately to report it.

Sincerely,

Broadway Federal Bank
me1004me1004370 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,572
1. Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 10:56 PM
Me1004, thanks for posting the info so quickly.  I received the same Email a few minutes ago and thought it was unusual too.   The only relationship I have with the bank is a CD which will mature in 2 weeks - no other account of any sort, hence no debit card, no ATM, although I certainly have a password for online banking.  It looks like they wanted to get the word out widely and quickly but I agree that there is little information here as to the reason for the alert.
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,438 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,270
2. Friday, June 1, 2012 - 12:22 PM
This morning, Broadway responded to my query, e-mailing:

Broadway Federal Bank records have not been compromised in any way.

In addition Broadway Federal Bank does not share your personal information with third parties.  

This a proactive alert to inform all of our customers of the current phishing scam to obtain your personal information.  

At no time will Broadway Federal ask you to divulge account information or passwords via email or phone.   Online Banking Center   
-------------------------
But I note, I still find this hard to believe, and have queried them again, as follows:

Well, OK. But I find it nearly impossible to believe that a phishing scam came out of no where without any data compromise. How could they know who your customers are if there were no data compromise!? You are describing a very specific phishing scam directed at your customers. Your bank just is not big enough to be the target of a general phishing scam in which millions of e-mails are sent hoping that some of the people receiving them are customers of your bank. So, it seems these people know who your customers are -- and how could that be if there were no data breech?

me1004me1004370 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,572
3. Friday, June 1, 2012 - 2:06 PM
Broadway Federal's CFO found this post via Google, and he wanted me to provide the following information:

Broadway Federal Bank has investigated the phising scheme and has determined that no data breach or hacking occurred on Broadway’s information systems.  This scheme did not target Broadway’s customers only but non customers as well and had a greater effect on non customers.

Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
4. Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 3:40 AM
Real estate is property consisting of land and the buildings on it, along with its natural resources such as crops, minerals, or water immovable property of this nature an interest vested in this an item of real property buildings or housing in general.Thanks.

Regards,

Glendale Real Estate Arizona
lafseolafseo1 posts since
May 11, 2013
Rep Points: 2