Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to Investments

Further Perils Of Chasing Yield

Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 4:16 PM
On Monday, the white-shoe Wall Street law firm Dewey & LeBoeuf filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, having “veered toward collapse over the last six months amid revelations of fat salary guarantees, risky loans and a culture of secrecy.” According to Reuters, “creditors and former partners are bracing themselves for a nasty court battle that could drag on for years.”

All well and good, you say, as packs of lawyers devour their own kind.  But why should anyone else really care?

http://nomoneynoworries.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/further-perils-of-chasing-yield/
ShorebreakShorebreak2,364 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,590
1. Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 6:01 PM
I really dislike these articles which make people who try to get better yields as these creatures "chasing yields".  What is so wrong with trying to get the best you can for the type of investment you want.  I never have allowed "yields" to decide what I will buy with our money.  I know how much I need for us to survive and what yield I need to get.  It may seem too low to most but "safety" is my number one priority.  Like the article shows, what good does it do to get a much higher yield if you end up in the toilet later.  Thanks for sharing the article Shorebreak.  We can never have too many reminders of what being "overeager" with our investments can end up doing to us.
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,080
2. Monday, June 11, 2012 - 4:32 PM
i read  recently although i know he she will deny it that there was  a big blow out with u and shore break  on a sunday  in may at  my bank tracker whats the dealio chasing yields might as well chase your tail all the way to the pobre casa
algonkwynnalgonkwynn2 posts since
Jun 11, 2012
Rep Points: 18
3. Monday, June 11, 2012 - 7:38 PM
Maybe you should spend more time taking reading lessons and less following me around Ken's blogs and forums since you are getting quite confused.  You know very well I have never posted to Shorebreak on Banktracker.  I didn't even know he uses it.  As for any "blow out" we had, the "only" person I have any problem with is YOU!  At least Shorebreak provides educational and useful articles and information for Ken's readers.  If he and I have a disagreement at any time, I can discuss things with him in a MATURE manner.  IF we had a disagreement, it has been resolved and I don't have to be concerned about him following me all over Ken's threads making stupid remarks about me.  What ever happens between me and any of the other posters on these blogs and forums are none of YOUR business so stay OUT of mine!  It's not a coincidence that whatever thread I post on, you turn up on to make one of your stupid nonsensical remarks about me.  I am asking you NICELY for the last time.  Leave me alone!  If you are so bored get a pet!  A rattlesnake should suit you just fine!
paoli2paoli21,140 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,080