Northway Bank is headquartered in BERLIN and is the 4th largest bank in the state of New Hampshire. It is also the 767th largest bank in the nation. It was established in 1934 and as of March of 2023, it had grown to 193 employees at 18 locations. Northway Bank has a B health rating.
Would you like to experience a small community bank in NH? I have been in this bank several times because the farmers' market I run has an account there. One time I had to wait in line, I was the second person. Other than that, there is never a line. It is very quiet there and rarely a customer either in the teller line or with any other banking official.
I have to wonder how the bank succeeds with so little customers. Are they choosing the big box banks instead? For all those people in a hurry they should come to this bank - no lines no waiting! I have no complaints everyone is very friendly when I go in there. The branch I attend was in a city location.
Be very careful of this bank. People put their money in banks and trust the banks to maintain their fiduciary responsibility.
1. This bank randomly holds checks (sometimes they put the deposit through instantly, however if you ever have checks that are about to process, they put additional holds on the deposits and clear the checks first and cause them to bounce). Their policy is next day, sometimes they claim two days, sometimes its 5 days sometimes its a week. This is purely to accumulate bounced check fees.
2. They will clear a check, put the funds into your account then when they see checks about to process they pull the money back and put a hold on it saying they review all deposits. Interestingly it only happens when there are checks about to clear and they then bounce the checks, and cause fees. Once all the checks bounce they clear the check minus all the fees.
3. They take mobile deposits and sometimes make them sit for days before processing them.
4. Their website always crashes and does not work
5. Their mobile app does not work most of the time.
6. They call constantly to ask for more business, if you refuse to meet with them, they put long delays on deposits and tell you that if you come down and talk about your business with them then they can speed up releasing your funds. When you go down they try and sell you everything from checks, loans and payroll services.
7. The tellers and managers border on incompetent in banking. They literally have to check each others math.
This bank is too small to survive and that's probably a good thing. Poor hours, poor customer service, and shady practices.
I highly suggest another bank. I have a business account with them. I have deposited multiple checks from the same client and all her checks came from the same account , same bank. Never had an issue with any check not clearing. The last 5 checks I've deposited 2 of them they put a hold on they first said 3 days but then it became 5. They said because it was an out of state check. Well what about the other 3 they to where from out of state because they were from the same account. Not only were the checks held for more days than they said, they also took what money was there to cover that check I just deposited that they put a hold on. A little confused . Why would they take what money I had in my account to cover a check that I have no access to because of the hold. So now not only can't I access the funds from the check I can't even have the money I did have before I put the check in. Because what they did take from my account was less than the amount of the check that was placed on hold my account is now negative the difference. Still confused. Why are they taking my money to cover a check that they are holding until it clears from my clients bank account . When you know you have money in your account and you try and purchase something and your card gets declined. You know how embarrassing that is. If not go get an account with northwaybank then you will. Not only embarrassing but being a business account try explaining to your customers why you can't purchase materials to come do the work they hired you for. I would highly recommend if you want a successful business go to another bank.
After having been a customer for over 15 years, and putting up with various problems during that time, I will be closing my business account with Northway Bank as soon as possible. While many of their tellers and managers are personable and try their best, the bank does not make any effort to train them on bank procedures beyond the basics. More than once, upper management has been unreachable or not returned calls on clarification to these branch managers on the same business day. Along with lack of customer service, I question the ethics of their policies. You have choices - bank elsewhere before you lose your money here.
|FDIC Certificate #||14240|
|Return on Assets - YTD||0.44%|
|Return on Equity - YTD||7.03%|
|Annual Interest Income||$12.0MM|
|Assets and Liabilities|
|Assets||Q1 2023vs Q1 2022||$1.36B$1.22B|
|Loans||Q1 2023vs Q1 2022||$939.2MM$815.2MM|
|Deposits||Q1 2023vs Q1 2022||$1.02B$1.02B|
|Equity Capital||Q1 2023vs Q1 2022||$86.2MM$102.1MM|
|Loan Loss Allowance||Q1 2023vs Q1 2022||$11.1MM$9.5MM|
|Unbacked Noncurrent Loans||Q1 2023vs Q1 2022||$2.1MM$2.0MM|
|Real Estate Owned||Q1 2023vs Q1 2022||$0$0|
Rates for Northway Bank are currently being reviewed.