AmeriCU Reviews

Bad EWP! And Impossible To Join W/Past Mil Affiliation Without A DD214 Form

BEWARE: the EWP (Early Withdrawal Penalty) on CDs isn't a penalty on the amount you take out early.. but a penalty on THE ENTIRE AMOUNT OF THE CD. So if your CD is $200,000 and you need to take out $11,000 early, your penaly won't be based off the $11,000 but the ENTIRE $200,000.

JOINING with a relative's (or your) past Military Affiliation is impossible unless you have handy the one specific form the CU requires to join, their DD214 form.

They will not let you join if you or a family member ever served in the military, unless you can produce their "DD214" form. That's it. NOTHING else will suffice. Doesn't matter if your relative is in his 90s now, served 70 years ago, and has no such exact form but gets plenty of things from the VA and other documents. With them, they will ONLY accept a "DD214" form from the military. (And if you wanted to try to go through the bureaucracy to try to obtain it, the US Govt/Natl Archives now charges a minimum $25 to request any military records that are over 62 years old).

CSR was also quite rude.
Especially with the bad EWP penalty (based on the ENTIRE AMOUNT of the CD, even for a partial withdrawal)... Just Not Worth It.

Never Get A Mortgage With Them

We are in the process of selling and buying a new home and someone in our chain went through AmeriCU. They have held up our deal at multiple junctures in the process. Their bank attorney Nasto Law will not return calls and emails from our lawyer so we can not schedule a closing. All sides have been cleared to close for a week and they are still refusing to close. We are also facing an almost $600 fee to extend our loan interest rate lock. We have one account with AmeriCU and will be closing it as soon as this deal is done. If you use this lending institution you will be weeks behind in your closing and they will miss all deadlines. BEWARE!!

Useless Call Center!

If your a person who has direct deposit and does all of there banking through a computer then you should be fine. But pray you never have to call their call center. The most useless people I have ever known to be employed. Every time I've called their the person who answers the phone is absolutely helpless who then has to assign an "account specialist" to figure out a simple problem like what "xyz" fee is. And then once you talk to said account specialist they love to talk down to you. Or they'll tell you that they can't do anything on phone and you need to go into a branch office. What's point if even having a call center if they don't do anything for you? Don't waste your time.

I love AmeriCu!

I switched from another bank when I realized how many fees I was earning to AmeriCU Credit Union 3 years ago and I've never gone back! The customer service is great; they are always willing to help you in any way they can!(even to the point of opening early so I could speak to a teller even though I could have waited and being incredibly patient and polite the whole time) Their customer service is one of the major positives about them, and I have never had a bad experience with them. Their fees are low and on the type of account I have they're basically non-existent, you can overdraft twice before you have to pay a penalty and if you have a extenuating explanation why, they try to accommodate you. Their website is very easy to use and I also have a debit card from them that I use frequently! To start an account, you only need to put $5 in your account, and that $5 keeps you a member until you withdraw it. However the one problem I have is that AmeriCU is only in a certain area (Central & Northern New York state), and if you are too far from their business radius you have to use an alternate credit union for any physical trips to the bank you may need. I have found some of their partners have terrible customer service, and they are not at all as helpful, so I really recommend using AmeriCU if you are within their radius, because I absolutely love them!

The Last Place You Want To Go For Your Mortgage

AmeriCu is a small bank, and they will drag you for 6 months or more to close on a mortgage even if your credit is A1, or even if your loan amount is very low,

My friend has 750 credit score, he bought a single family home for $45,000 put 20% down payment, and the loan amount was just $36,000.

AmiriCU literally torture the guy, it was a never ending process and they kept asking him documents to no end, and every few weeks he had to provide them the current pay stubs again and again.

not only that but they also asked him many document that were not even mentioned on the commitment letter.

AmeriCU's closing attorneys Mr. John Nasto / Mike Oshins are even worse, each morning he is raising new requirements for the buyer and the SELLER, and drag the process for MONTHS.

If you want to save headache and do not want to waste your time, stay away from AmeriCU when it comes to mortgage. stick to the big banks.

Too Long For Mortgage Process

It could take them half a year to close, even on very small mortgages, and they keep adding requirements that were not on the commitment letter.