Comenity Direct Reviews

Rip Off Banking Institution

This banking institution is a rip off. Just when I was almost half way through paying off an Alphaeon Credit Card issued by Comenity Bank, they slapped on a charge of 1600 dollars stating I had not paid the account entirely off in time to avoid this charge. This brought the account right back up to 300 dollars less than the original credit limit amount. Therefore after paying 156 dollars for two years, the account amount was only 3 hundred dollars less than the original credit limit of 4700 dollars.

Easy To Open Account And Link External Account, Good Rates

Posted by: Yulia37 | Sep 17, 2019

I found the process of account opening very straight forward, and customer service is easy to reach. Also no difficulties to link external account. The only drawback , you cannot add beneficiaries on line, iit needs to be called in. But overall very good experience, and great customer service.

Fraud Bank. Beware

Posted by: basaywhat | Sep 6, 2019

This bank is a joke. The customer service is horrible. They will scam you out of your money. The transferred money out of my external account without my authorization and won't give me my money back. They claim they will call you back but never do. STAY AWAY from this so called bank! Oh and I forgot when you call they "can't" ever locate a supervisor.

Perfect For What I Need

Posted by: thebum45 | Aug 13, 2019

Love these guys so far. ACH transfers are very fast. Phone support is excellent. Rates are top notch.

So Far, So Good!

Posted by: Philo | Aug 12, 2019

After having a problem opening two online high-yield savings accounts at Vio Bank and HSBC due to them having issues processing my application since I froze my credit, mixed with pretty bad customer service, I moved down my list to Comenity. I wish I had started there!

The application process was smooth, their rates are pretty competitive, and their web app is great! Clean, easy to use, and you can even download it for offline use as a progressive web app! I also called customer service twice: once to check on the status of my application and once to verify their routing number. Both times, customer service was quick, friendly, competent, and helpful.

I only have two minor complaints: that, as of this writing, their website doesn't play well with LastPass (it doesn't autofill -- my guess is this is actually a security feature), and that it doesn't link to Mint (possibly also a security feature).

Overall, very impressed with Comenity's high-yield savings account, customer service, web experience, and rate.

Transfer Out Is An Issue.

Posted by: VictoriaB | Jul 16, 2019

Can't get your money back. It's a daily "limit" rules for transferring out your funds.

Excellent Customer Service - Account Funded The Next Day

Posted by: Zellipuff | Jun 29, 2019

While in the process of opening a new account, I had a few questions and Kellie at Comenity Direct was extremely helpful, patient and courteous. After speaking with Kellie regarding funding the account and any potential fees, including early withdrawal penalties, I feel well-informed and confident about opening this account with Comenity Direct.
7/3/19 Update:
After opening my CD yesterday online, I had a question. Haley answered my question thoroughly and provided me with courteous assistance. She was just as wonderful as Kellie.
Now a day later, the money has been moved from my old bank into my new Comenity Direct account and the process could not have been smoother.

Completely Left Hanging By This Company

Posted by: shellym | Jun 21, 2019

I opened a CD account over two months ago. I noticed the funds had not been taken from my bank account, so I sent them multiple messages over the last month to try to get an answer as to what was going on with this, and I have received ZERO reply from them. Their message system specifically says 'we'll get back to you shortly' when you send them a message, but this is a flat out lie.
I am left not knowing if the money is suddenly going to be removed from my bank account months after it should have been, or if I can use the funds for something else. I was expecting to be earning interest this whole time, but I am just left completely hanging by this company.

Fraud Alert

Posted by: midas | Jun 20, 2019

Be cautious of any positive comment that says opening an account is easy and fast that may sound suspiciously like a paid review. Ask someone with an account about getting your money back out...
After opening an account, I called to ask for my account number and verify my balance, and was told by 3 separate employees that Comenity doesn't offer online savings accounts and that it was fraud! OOOPS, forgot to tell your employees your were rolling this out feature and almost gave us a heart attack! Now it's been 3 weeks of pleading to get our money back with no results and responses like:
"I'm sorry, I can't figure out why your transfer isn't being processed and I can find any of my managers"
Comenity Bank is holding our money hostage with no explanation. I wish someone would have warned me! Go with a bank you've actually heard of, at least do yourself the favor of looking at their YELP reviews.

Incompetent

Posted by: aven | Jun 18, 2019

Please see the letter to this bank's CEO!!! I requested a call or response in some way, but received nothing. I call Customer Service and receive no help. I had a dispute for $4,000 and provided Comenity with multiple documents supporting my case; they resolved the case in my favor on 3/25 and rescinded their decision on 4/18! This is total incompetence and lack of respect for their customers. They favor the businesses.

January 7, 2019
Dear Mr. Ostler,
I am sorry to have to write to you in full desperation and frustration. I acquired your credit card in October 2018 with the plan that this was going to be my new and primary major credit card.
I used it for a $12,000 payment to a venue for my daughter’s wedding on October 24, 2018. When I gave it to Bob, the owner, he did not want to take it and requested cash instead. I told him that I did not have $12K cash and for my own reasons, I was using my credit card. I was annoyed and shocked at his unprofessionalism to speak to a customer as he did to me. My reasons for using my credit cards are for the points, but mainly for the security if the merchandise/services were unacceptable. This would allow me to go back to the bank and do a dispute. I NEVER thought that this would be the case regarding my only daughter’s only wedding!
In almost 50 years of having credit cards, I have only had to file a dispute one other time with a vacation club. I paid thousands of dollars to a club due to promises made to me, but never received. I had used my Discover and Capital One cards for that transaction, thank God. The dispute went on for months, but once completed, I won. Both my banks informed me that I was being reimbursed for the amounts in addition to interest. They also told me that if I had paid using my debit card or check, I might not have been as lucky. Since then (10 years ago), I always use my credit card for everything!
I tried to work with Bob (owner), Mike (owner) and Casey (manager); but without success. I finally opened the dispute in November via the phone. Your Customer Care representative informed me that I would be notified once they had questions. I waited a few weeks and called last week for the status; and was told that I lost! No questions, no documentation requested and no one cared! I received a letter that week which told me that they may need an additional 90 days to review and to send documentation if I had any. That is when I called them to find out that they closed it without my input. When I had opened it on the phone, your representative told me that I would be contacted when they were ready. I felt discouraged and without confidence in this bank’s loyalty to their customers.
Tara is my only daughter and I wanted her to have the wedding of a lifetime! I was a single mom with three kids who worked two jobs to support my kids; while providing them with everything they needed and much of what they wanted! I felt taken advantage of and lied to from the venue; and then from the people who were supposed to review and decide on my dispute.
I have attached a spreadsheet with the details and dollar amounts, a detailed letter from me and three letters from guests at the wedding. These three guests were close friends who were aware of all my wedding plans with details, so they are very aware when they saw what was provided vs. what was ordered!
I have spoken to other guests since the wedding and when I told them about my dispute, they began to tell me what they noticed had gone wrong. I have additional testimonials (negative) which makes me so unhappy for my daughter.
I am so angry that individuals still have to fight big corporations for fairness. Please help me to show Bob, Mike and Casey that we count too!

Terrible Customer Service.

Posted by: davez | Jun 17, 2019

Completely inept and rude customer service. I attempted to fund 3 fairly good sized cd's, and at every step of the the process there was a gotcha! Customer service said they'd return my call, and now 3 days later, with no call back, I'll give up a few bps and go elsewhere.
Terrible.

Smooth Like Butter. Updated

Just opened a new savings account with Comenity. The process was painless and was accomplished via online within 5 minutes.Before opening I had a number of questions. I called the main number and after a short wait got a knowledgeable staff member who was able to answer all my questions. The website seems to function well and is pretty straight forward. After opening a account it is easy to send a secure message to the staff which in my experience also get answered in a timely manner. They credit deposits via ACH within 24 hrs. The savings rate is competitive and if everything goes smooth I plan on opening a CD within a few weeks. So far I am pleased with Comenity and I've used quite a few online banks.

UPDATE

Opened a CD in less than 5 minutes with a very competitive rate. Started earning interest immediately.