First South Financial Reviews

Stay Away From This Bank

Stay away from this bank. My money was taken out from my account without my permission and they refused to refund my money back Customer service was not even helpful...

Great for small depositors

I have been a member of First South Credit Union since 2012 when I had to open an account after my aunt died. I needed a way to keep the funds from her estate separate from my bank account. After her estate was settled, I started my own account with them. What I like best about them is that you only have to keep a balance of $200 in checking to avoid any fees. Many times I have come close to this balance but I never got a fee except one time when I went under. But when I put more money in, it never happened again. It has good locations in my city with ATMs. The only strange thing is a lack of deposit slips inside. One has to go to the window and tell the teller whether you want to put the money in checking or savings. I haven't had any problems with them and I know my money is secure. They are also fast about transferring money from checking to savings or vice versa. I recommend them to my family and friends.

Horror At First South

First South wrongfully transferred 100% of my funds and violated banking regulations around source of funds verification.

Its response: Errors happen.

Its errors. My legal expense. Months before I recovered any of my funds.

I highly recommend USAA, not First South.

Excellent Place To Bank

Been banking with them for almost 19 years and have never gotten bad service. I was paying a monthly service fee to a bank for my checking account unless I kept $700 in it! Crazy! Theirs is much lower. Love to bank with First South Financial!

A loyal customer for 7 years.

Being a loyal customer of First South Financial credit union for almost seven years, Id have to say that I have really enjoyed my experiences with them. They have convenient online banking that's easy for me to access my account and great customer service over the phone. Upon visiting one of their local branches I'm always greeted with very friendly service and every person there is always willing to assist me. Another reason I've enjoyed banking with First South Financial Credit Union is that they are always finding ways to improve their customers banking needs and since they have been so great to me I cant help but to recommend them to all my friends and family.

A Fee-Happy Credit Union With Low Interest Rates On Deposits

I prefer credit unions over banks for their lower and fewer fees. I mostly chose to open an account at First South because they have locations that are convenient for me.

Unfortunately, I think I've ended up paying more fees at First South than any other bank or credit union I've used. Most recently, they've started charging members a 3% fee to deposit coins. The current annual interest yield on my share account is measly 0.07%. I have a bank account that pays over ten times that rate.

First South provides clear evidence that credit unions aren't always a better value than banks.

On a positive note, in my experience First South has a lot of young and attractive tellers to ogle while waiting in line. This might be the only reason I continue to maintain an account there.