Lake Michigan Credit Union Reviews

Comedy Of Errors For New Construction Loan

I began to work with Lake Michigan Credit Union (LMCU) on a new construction loan package in July 2015 per recommendation from a work acquaintance.

What started off smoothly abruptly turned to a rocky road of opaqueness, miscommunications, and delays - ultimately ending up with me withdrawing my loan application almost 90 days from the date of submission - what I consider an unreasonably long time to complete and close on a new construction loan package.

We submitted our formal loan application at the beginning of August. At approx. 30 days - the first week of September - we hit the first major bump in the road when we received an appraisal from a 3rd party appraiser contracted through LMCU that came in $15,000 short of our contract price to build. After several requests to see the appraisal they finally delivered it to me - a full 30 days after the appraisal had been completed! It was immediately obvious that the appraisal was based off of home specifications that were erroneous. While the appraiser recommended a 2nd appraisal was what was needed to remedy the appraisal the LMCU instead ordered up an adjustment to the 1st appraisal. After more delays regarding the adjustment - I found out through the appraiser that LMCU had not filed the proper request form for the adjustment, costing us a full week - the appraisal then had to be reviewed by the LMCU credit committee, who questioned the new adjusted value. However a branch manager (Troy, MI) was able to convince the committee the adjustment was good and that we should proceed.

So almost 3 weeks later they finally accepted the adjusted appraisal and my loan officer took my account out of suspension (allegedly due to inactivity) and began preparing the file for final underwriting.

We were now at the end of Oct. and my file finally gets to the underwriters desk for final underwriting and approval. The final underwriter immediately flagged the adjusted appraisal and said they could not give us the adjusted value based on the adjustment (it was a written description of the adjustment) and that they needed a grid of comparables in the form of a 2nd appraisal to adjust the value! Unbelievable!

Because this would have presented another significant delay towards reaching a closing date I had finally had enough and as of 10-28-15 withdrew my loan application from LMCU.

I cannot recommend that anyone ever proceed with LMCU as their lender for any loan. The entire process from the 1st appraisal onward has been nothing but opaque and stressful. I often felt completely in the dark about where we were at in the process. I also felt like the trio of loan officer, to loan processor, to underwriter - and any other parties involved (a branch manager, a credit committee, appraiser, who knows who else...) was a complete circus of individuals who barely communicated to each other - truly a case of the left hand not talking to the right if there ever was one. What should be one of the most exciting times of my life - building a home - became one of the most stressful and wrought with frustration experiences I have ever dealt with. If this is how lending institutions operate in 2015 then we have not come far enough along since 2008. A frightening proposition.

Stay far, far away from this bank if you are looking for a mortgage for an existing home or to build a new one. There are better lending institutions out there who will help you achieve your goals without all of the stress and hassle.

Lmcu 5 Stars!

Posted by: JKettle | Apr 17, 2016

Several months ago my husband and I decided to switch from 5/3 bank to Lake Michigan Credit Union. I had heard great things about this institution as it was recommended highly by a family and friends. We were able to sit down with a customer service representative who was very pleasant and knowledgeable. She discussed the details of all of our options, and helped us choose a savings and checking plan that would be most beneficial to our family. We were particularly thrilled with the Max checking account for multiple reasons. This particular account had a very low deposit amount, and no minimum balance. The best part about the Max Checking account is the 3% interest per month! I have never seen that high of an interest rate at any other banking institution. Another great perk to Lake Michigan Credit Union is that they will reimburse any fee's incurred when using an ATM other than that of LMCU. We are both able to have direct deposit from our employer which is also a great feature of this type of account. Online banking is extremely simple and convenient. So far I have been extremely happy with the customer service I have received through this institution and look forward to banking at Lake Michigan Credit Union for many years to come.

Exorbitant Fees And Poor Customer Service

Posted by: glvelting | Nov 29, 2011

I have been with this bank over 10 years and their service continues to decline while their fees continue to climb.

No longer a fan!  Potential customers beware!!  Their fees will rake you over the coals and their client service representatives are anything but friendly.

Bank Had Four Tries Too Keep Me, But I Have A Checking Acct. With No Checks. :-(

Posted by: Sansher | Jan 8, 2013

I recently moved into the area from another state, the bank facility is right across the street from where I work, and I wanted to get a relationship with a local bank. First visit picked up the ppwk, they made a copy of my license. Teller seemed a bit sarcastic to me. Second visit  had all the ppwk made out, but they didn't like that my drivers license was out of state (been here less than a month). They told me to bring in the lease to my apartment. Third trip brought in lease. Opened account. Then when at home I was going to order some checks, discovered that I don't have sample checks and dont have a routing number. Thought that sample checks were omitted by mistake. Fourth trip asked for sample checks, was told that I had to have $100.00 in the checking account. I have $750.00 in the account which is a retirement check from the State of Florida. Was told the check was on hold for a week and so there is no money in checking account. Asked for routing number which is what they gave me. Have a checking account with no checks. Not satisfied. I have $$$$ to deposit into a local bank, but if they can't handle $750.00 how will they do with 20K? Not good. Looked online lots of complaints on this bank in the 'dont like services' category, also with the BBB. Do not plan to follow this relationship up any further. Have been with a Credit Union in Fla for 17+ years and am extremely happy with them, there are other credit unions in Kalamazoo. I will be with one of them (and so will my money)

Savings Account Closure

I went in to the Lake Michigan Credit Union on Leonard and Plymouth in Grand Rapids a few months ago to open a savings account. I specifically disclosed that I wanted to use it to cash checks. I made an initial deposit if $10. It was just fine for about three months, until last Friday, I tried to cash a check at the drive thru, and was informed that my account had been closed. That $5 was collected, twice, two days apart (two separate months, of course) for the "minimum balance fee". I fully understand that I have no legal recourse for this action, as I read the list of fees brochure and, of course it is there, but this requirement is no place in my actual account paperwork, nor was it mentioned on the 15 minutes of discussion I had with the banker, as I had fully disclosed my needs and purpose for the account. I will never open another account with them.

Excellent Service And Rates

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 17, 2010

I have been with this bank for over 15 years and it has been my best experience in banking.  I don't live near the bank anymore but I still bank with them.  Direct deposit and online banking make it easy.  They pay the interest every month I have not had any major problems banking here.  I would recommend them to anyone.

Snarky Customer Service

I used to think highly of the bank back in 2007 but since I widowed 4 years ago, I have received more and more rude customer service. I was recently charged 3 fees for a paypal account I was unaware of trying to pull money from my savings. I wrongfully thought my overdraft protection would cover it, now I owe $90 plus the original $30 for the charge.
The gotcha fees are so frustrating but the snarky attitude from customer service makes it worse.

They also approved us for a home loan in 2009 and then said opps, we can't after all once we found our home. Thank god we found another one and closed on the home eventually. Too bad the stress helped put me into early labor.

Disorganized And Mediocre Customer Survice.

I moved to the Grand Rapids area and needed to transfer my accounts to a local CU.  For my auto loan, faxed documents were lost on 3 occasions cauysing the closing of the loan to take 3 weeks.  My debit card was also "lost" in the mail on their first attempt to send it.  It took over a month to receive the debit card.  Their 24x7 customer service only seems to apply to weekdays.  If you lose your online banking account info, you must call in to the call center to have it reset.  Overall I regret switching, it would have been less hassle to just drive the 2 hours round trip to do business with my old CU.

Too Many Requirements

Posted by: shadzx1 | Dec 17, 2013

This bank has a lot of requirements to meet for the high interest rate. I can handle the ridiculous 15 transactions and the crazy $500 direct deposit, but the $100 in purchases every month is hard for me when I buy $1 items just to meet the requirements. I opened this account six months ago to save money and get the best rate for whats in the account. They keep changing the requirements to weed out people like us that just want the interest.

I made my interest and closed the account, ~ there are better banks with less hoops to jump through

Not Happy At All

Posted by: elli1980 | Jul 8, 2013

Recently had money vanish out of my account and it showed on online banking next day everything was erased tried calling ,online chatting talking nope it can't vanish like that thats all it's being said i wasn't born yesterday and know how much i had know what i seen they need to check accounts and there employes it's a shame that they don't even look into it take som time and check it out why would anyone make something like that up .I heard from other people they had it happen to them too i will not hide it.

Poor Customer Service

Just thought people looking for a bank would like to hear this about LMCU.  We have bought two cars and had a line of credit open through lake michigan credit union.  Recently I returned to school and we entered a debt consolidation program.  We completely paid off the car loans with never missing a payment and almost finished the line of credit when we entered the program.  It took a month for LMCU to start recieving payments and apparently they charged late fees and interest on top of this.  We were unaware until recently but every month for a year they have been charging interest and late fees on that gap and now we owe $500.00 in a back payment!  We now owe a total of $830 almost the same although they have been recieving $124 a month from the consolidation agreement.  On top of taking that they have been reporting it to credit agency every month.  They are the only one of the eight creditors we have on our consolidation program and will do nothing to stop the fees and the late reporting.  Shameless robbery of their own clients!

ATM Issues

Posted by: superflan | Sep 28, 2011

I am not a member of Lake Michigan CU, but they have an ATM in close proximity to my home. Before Lake Michigan took over that location, it belonged to another credit union. The previous credit union's ATM was a member of the CREDIT UNION CO-OP NETWORK. For some reason, Lake Michigan Credit Union is not. This has proved to be a major inconvenience for me, as I now have to drive out of my way every time I need to use an ATM...because none of the other co-op ATMs are anywhere near where I frequent. It's just annoying, and I'm wondering why a credit union would not be a part of the credit union co-op network. Certainly will not be joining Lake Michigan anytime soon.

Disorganized And Unhelpful

I don't do all of my banking with LMCU, just my auto loan, which I acquired 5 months ago. I have had nothing but trouble with LMCU since then, unfortunately. About 3 months into my loan, LMCU suddenly mailed me a document stating they were charging a $300+ fee to my loan due to insufficient insurance. My insurance was exactly up to their code and they had been given the proper information from day one, as proven by my insurance provider, but they claimed to never receive it (odd that they'd wait a whole 3 months to pursue that if it WERE truly the case, though!). Once this had been sorted out, I requested proof that this was resolved, which LMCU did promptly mail me. However, about a month later, I received yet another notice, once again suggesting that I had insufficient insurance, even though it had now been provided to them twice. After much wasted time and a lot of frustration, I was assured this was resolved again and so far (a month later) I have not gotten any more notices about that. I did, however, just receive a late payment notice today for a payment that I had made well before the due date, but which LMCU claims not to have gotten until 16 days later. Despite having my bank's statement to prove the payment was on time, they refused to work with me on this and would not remove the late fee, saying there is no way to override or waive it at this point (which is completely untrue) and either I would have to pay the fee myself, or have my primary banking institution pay the fee for me, since LMCU claims it was the fault of my bank, not LMCU. I've banked with my bank (Huntington) for a decade and have never once had a problem with my bill pay and considering my only experiences with LMCU so far consists of them repeatedly losing pertinent information on my account, I know that this is an error on the part of LMCU, and not my mistake, nor my bank's mistake (Huntington). I am now contacting an attorney, because I refuse to let their lack of professionalism ruin my great credit history. I would never recommend LMCU to anyone.

BETTER OPTIONS ARE DEFINITELY AVAILABLE

Posted by: ADF | Aug 13, 2015

Do yourself a favor and continue to look for another option. LMCU rates may be okay but they are a fee heavy institution. Mortgage rates were decent but found better rate elsewhere without points and with lower closing fees. Over course of relationship with them received fees for inactivity in savings and overdraft fee for checking when money was available to cover in my savings. Other financial institutions I use automatically transfer funds between accounts without fees in these circumstances.... I prefer to spend less time micromanaging my accounts and have transactions like this occur seamlessly.

Getting A Loan!!

This bank has been nothing but a pain in the butt. Not only has this bank taken the maximum in closing our loan but has asked us basically everything but who my mom is. I will never bank with them again. I have also heard through several other people I have talked with since our encounter that they are extremely unhappy with lmcu as well. Statitics say for every one person's complaint there are 10 people behind them just as unhappy. Public beware that this Bank or "credit union" is very poorly run and to which they do not care about you or your concerns! I have also talked with several other Banks to which they are suprised in how long it has taken lmcu to conduct our loan. So this tells me really, how poor of business this is. But who cares right?! Business's this big making as much money as they do don't care about some one like us or me unless we have lots to offer them, like them not making oddles of money off of our loans is not enough!! What has happend to America and her intergrity and honor in businesses? Becuase I can't find it any where I look. Shame on you lmcu, shame on you for being one of those companies! They get only 1 star but really should get none!

Excellent Customer Service

Posted by: mikey014 | Sep 10, 2012

Very easy to monitor whether you will qualify for their rewards interest for the month because they have a "Status" link on the checking. You can see how many transactions you've had processed. That makes everything so much smoother. :) I love that. I love the online chat feature as well.

Great bank. I don't live in MI but it is super easy to bank with them! :) Love them!

Very Satisfied

Posted by: jheffer5 | Jul 24, 2012

I opened my account with LMCU two years ago and have seen great improvements from my previous institution. Fees are less, I get paid interest for my checking, and the service is friendly. I just purchased a home and recieved my mortgage from LMCU, and have even purchased a car from their lot in Hudsonville. Great rates, great savings, quality products. I also priced my homeowners insurance with four different providers and Lake Michigan Insurance Agency provided me with the best rate/policy by far. All in all, LMCU is a great value for your dollar, and I love it.

Good Service And Interest.

Posted by: kiwi | May 10, 2014

Been with them for 2 years. Everything is uneventful, so that is good. I get my interest like clockwork.

Great Credit Union

I've been a member of several banks/credit unions, lmcu is by far my best choice for a financial institution. It's a great place.

Overall Good Experience

Posted by: lindsd33 | Mar 13, 2011

I have been with LMCU since 1998 and have been satisfied with their service.  They are sympathetic to extenuating circumstances and have been willing to waive almost all overdraft fees.

Unethical, Dishonest, Incompetent

I used to have an account with this credit union, but got rid of it. BEWARE. Do not use this credit union if you want documents lost, errors made constantly on your account, deposits made to other people's accounts, mysterious withdrawals made, poor service, dishonest customer service agents. I had to report them to the NCUA for fraud and corruption. If you want a terrorist credit union, go to LMCU.

RIP OFF ALERT

Posted by: Anonymous | Sep 16, 2011

LMCU will steal hundreds of dollars unjustly from you. If you overdraft from checking, they charge you 30 dollars per transaction. Instead of pulling money from your savings account, they charge you 30 dollars for each transaction after a negative balance in checking. I have just over 6 thousand in savings. My checking account went to a 0 balance. My fault, but they charged 430 dollars over a course of 3 days while I was using my debit card at gas stations, fast food joints, coffee shops , and a movie. They were unwilling to return the money. What should have been 300 dollars in debits turned to over 700 dollars. If you have the money, why not pull it from savings like most banks? I can see a 30 dollar charge for your account going negative, but if you have money in savings????? Think about it, you get a little lax about transferring money, think you have plenty, and the next thing you know you are spending hundreds of dollars for simple transactions. Ya, I am a little pissed off at them.

Very Helpful

I did business with LMCU for many years and they are wonderful! Always very friendly when you visit a branch and very willing to work with you for different situations such as a line of credit, even if your credit score is not at it's best. LMCU is definitely all about their customers and going out of their way to help them out. I absolutely recommend opening an account here and going to them if you have any lending needs.

No Complaints Here

I have an auto loan, max checking, and a visa credit card with LMCU. I live in South Carolina and have never even set foot in the state of Michigan. All of my accounts have been handled professionally and on the rare occasion when I call in to customer service, I have been very satisfied with the help I received.

Credit Check

Posted by: schris4 | Jan 4, 2015

Be aware that there is a hard pull when opening the account. They also don't supply complimentary checks, but other than that, they're a decent bank with a good website that tracks your rewards progress.

Great Credit Union 3%/$15,000 Limit/10 Charges

Posted by: kiwi | Apr 1, 2014

They are easy to deal with and the website is good. I kept this account when I consolidated other accounts. It was a good deal for me.

A very reliable credit union

Posted by: Cordon | Nov 21, 2014

Lake Michigan Credit Union is a well known credit union here on the west coast of Michigan, and they're one I've been happy to do business with. At my old bank, I had constant issues with odd fees, overdraft exploitation, and difficulty in dealing with my accounts, and I was getting tired of it. LMCU made it very easy for me to transfer my funds over, and within about two days I had my account opened and usable. There's been no weird fees, no account issues, and a very reliable interface to work with.

Thus far, the only real issue is their lack of ATMs; it can be difficult to find one in a given area unless you happen to be lucky. There are a few, and there's of course the local branch to deal with deposits and withdrawals too. Thankfully, to a certain extent they'll reimburse fees from other ATMs. I highly recommend them.

LMCU Not A Place To Put Your Money!

Posted by: Anonymous | Apr 14, 2012

I have been a member since 1995, and I can say in the last two years have been a nightmare! No one should have to deal with a customer service overflow that doesn't speak English and also have to wait 15-20 Min to cash a check. They have this system that they look over all the notes of your account prior to cashing your check. I had an issue one time and then they would not let me make my payments. I have nothing good to say about this bank!

Overall Happy

I have had an over all good exspereance with LMCU. The only complaint that I have is that I am not fond of the format that they have for thier online banking. It is a tad hard to understand.

They Pull Hard Inquiry That Affects Your Credit Score Just To Opening A Checking Account.

I was excited to open a checking account with them in order to quality for the 3% reward. The banker told me its just soft pull that won't affect my credit score, so I go for it, I signed the papers and didn't read through it. Because I believe her. It's a Big mistake. Later that day, I got a alert from Creditkarma states that I have a hard inquiry which is from LMCU. It brings my credit score down by 9 right away. I talked and explained to them, they won't do anything, they said I sign the paper. I'm so disappointed that they lied to customers like this. I went there with my friend, he can be proof the banker said it's a soft pull, yet the bank won't responsible for anything. No hope, I just withdraw my money back and close the account.

Pull Credit Report, Deny Apps

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 13, 2011

This is first denial of the banking accounts I've had for 10 years. Pulled credit report, and were unable to verify income from a credit agency (but never requested info from me).

Customer Friendly

Posted by: LisaM | Mar 28, 2014

Lake Michigan Credit Union is a very friendly, customer service oriented credit union. I have used them for insurance, banking, investment, and loan purposes and they have always responded in a professional and courteous manner. I would highly recommend Lake Michigan Credit Union to my friends and family and anyone who is sick of the ridiculous fees imposed by regular banks.

Customer Service Is A Joke

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 7, 2012

I've been on hold for over 40 minutes trying to speak to someone about paying a loan. This place is a joke.

We Were Trying To Work It Out But.....

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 13, 2011

Yes, I know that I defaulted on a loan,however, I was in the process of working it out with loss prevention to pay back the balance due. We had another truck loan through them and during the process of working it out they repossessed our truck! A loan we have never missed a payment on. Be careful because even if you think that your loans are not secured by each other LMCU will tell you that they are because you are a LMCU member. The bad thing is they never even gave me a chance to make it right and I wanted too.

Taking Money Out Of Janice's Account

Posted by: cookie789 | Dec 7, 2012

i think you are very unproffesional by taking this money when we never were served papers about garnishment. deosited check on 12/7/2012. went to the atm machine right afterwards and the acoount was o. i don't think you should have taken this money with out notifying us. shame on you.

No Follow Up

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 6, 2011

we have been dealing with them since May of 2010, and have gotten the worst run around, with no calls back, no follow though empty promises. No wonder the banks are in trouble - good luck dealing with them.

No Problems

Posted by: kiwi | Jan 5, 2015

Had 2 accounts for years. They post very quickly.

Great Customer Service And Rates

Posted by: elismom | Apr 16, 2013

Really enjoy this credit union. The staff is helpful and knowledgable. Rates are way better than anything in my area. They have a five star promise and fulfill it every time I have needed anything. I was having trouble logging into my home banking because I forgot my password and the teller took the time to walk me through everything and show me how to use it to its full potential. Would most definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a place that will take care of you.

No Problems

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 3, 2012

Very reliable...I have been a member for over 15 years. Never had an issue. I suspect most (not all, of coarse) criticism is by folks who don't follow/understand the rules that they sign their names to.

GREAT COMPANY

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 7, 2012

I grew up with this credit union when they were Grand Rapids Teachers Credit Union. They were nice then, and are now. I spent a time away from them when I traveled and moved around a lot for work. I got a real education at the ways banks work. My most recent experience was with Chase. In my opinion, LMCU is vastly superior. When I visit, the tellers are friendly, and any time I have a question, I can call an get someone on the phone, usually within two minutes. Plus, and most important, they pay the most interest on my money, and I LOVE THAT, too.

Rate Change From 4% To 3% On 10/01/11

Posted by: Anonymous | Sep 3, 2011

Lower rate is shown on the last page of the new account application sequence.

Superb Customer Service

Posted by: Anonymous | Dec 30, 2010

Lake Michigan Credit Union is a wonderful bank with excellent customer service, and very efficient handling my money. From direct deposit to the bill payment system, I am very satisfied with their high yield Max Checking account. I switched from one of the larger commercial banks, and have never looked back.