The Berkshire Bank Reviews

Worst Customer Service

I'm very frustrated with the customer service from my local branch and even the customer service phone line. I am a new customer with Berkshire and everything I have experienced so far has been nothing but inconvient and unreasonable. The rules that are held for new accounts are absolutely ridiculous. If I knew what I was getting myself into I wouldn't have opened accounts with this bank.

Worse Policy For Deposits

Was told I could not deposit an insurance check that was made out to my mom & I because the checking account was in my mom's name only. They wanted me to make an appointment to open an account in both our names. How inconvient. I resolved this problem by taking the check to another bank where I had no trouble depositing it. Berkshire bank lost my business and please remember you are not married to your bank, you have other banks to chose from. It's time you do what's best for you.

Zero Stars If I Could

I felt like my money was being held hostage. I made a deposit with a certified bank check and it took 9 days to clear. Whyyyyy? the money was already taken out my other bank acct.. maybe it's me, but I always got the impression from the Hudson branch personal, that they were mad at me because I had some money. Not liking this bank one bit!

Awful Customer Service

Berkshire Bank is just awful. I had an automobile loan with a local Beacon Federal Bank until Berkshire bought them in June 2012. I loved Beacon Federal, they were VERY customer oriented, but Berkshire Bank not so much.

When I started making payments on my automobile loan five years ago I set my bill payment service from my checking account to make recurring monthly payments. So, I have made sixty payments without issue on my loan... sixty payments! My payment for October 7th was never sent from my checking account, either I inadvertently reset the recurring payment or five years ago I entered the wrong year for the last loan payment. Either way, I made a mistake.

Gerri from Berkshire Bank's collection services sent me a letter to tell me my loan payment for October is overdue and to contact her. When I read the letter on Saturday October 26, I immediately scheduled my bill pay service to send the loan payment along with the late fees. I called Gerri Monday October 28 to tell her that I scheduled the payment to be sent immediately and that they will have it in a few days. She was satisfied that the payment was on the way.

While I had Gerri on the phone, I also asked her if she could provide me with the remainder of my loan schedule so I could enter it into my bill paying service. She said that I should be receiving monthly payment coupons. I said yes, I do get the monthly payment coupons by mail, but I want to enter all of the payments into my bill pay service. (In the past, I have had payments lost in the mail or delivered late to utility and credit card companies... so I now prefer to make electronic payments whenever possible.) Gerri said that they can not tell me what my loan payment schedule will be... just for me to keep looking at the monthly payment coupons. Really, they can't provide me a payment schedule!!! They are a bank, and they can not figure out my loan schedule! We are in the year 2013 when this should be as simple as can be... for a BANK!

So after speaking with Gerri on the 28th and telling her that my payment has been sent, she generates another letter on the 29th stating that my loan payment is overdue and that they are preparing to "ARRANGE FOR THE REPOSSESSION OF OUR COLLATERAL". She sent this letter the very next day after speaking with her on the phone! So my payment is not even a month overdue, the payment has been sent with the late fee and now my SUV might be repossessed! I don't think there are words to describe the levels of incompetence that this bank demonstrates.

After my auto loan payment for November 7th posts with Berkshire Bank, I will be fully paying off this loan. Hopefully they can figure out the correct payoff balance. I don't trust that my SUV will be in my driveway everyday with Berkshire holding the loan. I will never use Berkshire Bank for anything again!!!!

Horrible Place For A Mortgage

Missed deadlines, no show appraiser.

Despite the fact that they were the developers bank and were in fact transferring money from one pocket to another, no breaks on closing costs.

Although they had the file for 3 months, found out the day of closing that the numbers did not add up for us.

Berkshire Bank Very Slow To Update Online Banking Transactions ...

Is the fact that Berkshire Bank is so slow to update transactions through online banking an intentional thing?  I think it is.  You see, years ago banks got away with reordering checking account transactions on a nightly basis so that the largest transactions would go through first, making it more likely that said banking institution could make money off NSF (Non Sufficient Fund) charges.  Then, consumers wisened up, called banks out on it, and poof.....banks started processing transactions as they came in (on a nightly basis).  Well, it seems that banks are up their old tricks again.  This time they're, under the disguise of "our servers are running slow" (or something along those lines), banks are intentionally not updating online banking transactions as they occur.  If you go into your Berkshire Bank online banking account and make a transfer from one accoun to another  you will not see the changes reflected for each effected account.  This makes it very easy to forget which account you pulled money from, and what the balances are for each account.  Now, let's say, for example, you have a USAA online checking account.  AS SOON AS you complete a transfer from one account to another the changes are reflected IMMEDIATELY for each effected account.  Very straight-forward.  I will be looking to switch my accounts to another banking institution as it is clear as day that Berkshire Bank doesn't care anything about its customers.